• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought my first handgun, laws?

EMSJEEP said:
You would still have to apply and potentialy wait 6 months, you would have the same permit as everyone else, it would just be stamped "retired federal law enforcement"...if you are not retired I guess it is assumed that you have a right to carry and do not need to have a permit, I think...but you would still have to go through the registration process for each weapon
Actually I believe if someone retires after their full service term (there's weird rules about that) and has a full retired badge then under the knew homeland security rules they fall under different category ;)

Well, thanks for all the advice. I just got back from AZ and the Grand Canyon and man was that fun. I'll post some pics up soon. Got to do a little wheeling, but nothing too intense. But I was glad I carried the whole way because my wife and I went through several Indian Reservations that reminded me of Iraq. I know they have different laws but I didn't give a sh*t at that point. Also, I got pulled over (didn't have my front license plate on the bumper but in the window, gave me a warning) near the four corners region (still in Colorado) and had the pistol tucked between the passenger seat and the center console in the holster. It was visible, but he didn't even notice it until I told him. The officer just said "ok" and asked for my license and registration.

Anyway, great trip all around but I really felt much safer with it the whole way. Now time to get my CCW.

Back