• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB antenna

I'll post up pics of my CB and 2m antennaes tomorrow, but would also recommend permanent roof mounts after seeing too many mag mounts come off in trees and heavy whoops.

karstic said:
I'll post up pics of my CB and 2m antennaes tomorrow, but would also recommend permanent roof mounts after seeing too many mag mounts come off in trees and heavy whoops.

I'd appreciate that. I still haven't made my final decision on this.

karstic said:
Yeah, mine has been knocked off from trees and such, but that is why I have it zip tied to the roof rack. Has just enough slack in it so I can lay it over it need be or if it gets knocked over, but not far enough to break any of the windows. I have a buddy that was going down the highway and a semi went past him going the other way and his mag mount flew off and broke the back window out in his Jeep. So if you do a mag mount you can secure it to the roof rack and prevent it from doing damage. I think I will also add some more zip ties in other places just to be safe.

karstic said:

Did you happen to get those pics yet?

2m (front-roof mount) cb (rear-cage mount)

CB coax goes through this grommet

I have a 3' Firefly and 18' FireRing coax purchased from walcottcb.com. I made a simple mount from scrap I had laying around and ran the coax through the grommet under the taillight. I didn't have any issues at Winterfest last weekend, it worked great. Since I took the pic, I added a quick disconnect so I could pull it off easily for the car wash or low garage.

HPIM0953.jpg

HPIM0954.jpg

Cheap coax is cheap. Good coax will last longer and cause no problems. Firestik coax is good, Belden is a quality brand of coax many CB shops handle. NEVER get your coax at Radio Shack. I have always run Firestik antennas on my vehicles. They take a beating and keep on working. I always use a heavy duty spring and a good solid mounting bracket. A 2 foot antenna is a good compromise for performance and keeping the antenna low and out of the way. Mag mounts are for pavement use, low hanging trees and trail obstacles will knock loose a mag mount.

I use the antenna below on my XJ only so it can get in and out of the garage. It is permanently mounted to the roof and has a spring. I would rather have a Firestik in that spot.

Wilson and K40 are good antennas but their long flexy whip can actually take out a window on a rough trail.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Back