• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Charles Wells' NEW MOAB BOOK (Released Feb 08)

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
From this thread: http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=116531

---------------------------------------

He has recently released the 2nd edition to his guide books covering Moab! The latest and greatest has 55 trails with 10 new ones that weren't in the 1st edition.

Color photos and maps of the trails. The trails are color coded by difficulty to make browsing so much easier (both in titles and on the area specific overview maps). The trails are even color coded on each specific trail map, meaning that the easy parts are GREEN, the moderate parts are BLUE, and the difficult parts are RED.

GPS DATA - accuracy is everything and this one is modern and accurate. The 1st edition suffered from very early GPS usage and accuracy and none of those problems affect the latest book. The GPS points are listed with each trail versus in the rear of the book like books past.

PAPER - I am no publisher but the paper isn't plain paper. It's more like mild photo paper. Nice finish and appears stronger. Nice touch if you prefer the spiral bindings.

Like in the past, I have taken the time to type up EVERY GPS waypoint from the book and will have it available for those wanting it. I will forward the file to Eric to post HERE with the other files I have typed up.

Charles does great work and his work keeps getting better and better. Check them out at his site!

-----------------------------------------------

My old Moab book is on it's last leg, so I just ordered the new one with spiral binding. Looking forward to getting it.

This would be a great purchase for anyone planning on attending Fall Fling this year ;)

Just thought I would share :)

Perfect timing. I was going through mine the other day and it is coming unglued (literally).

I will order mine today!

d'oh and I had just bought the old one while in Moab FF in October.

Highly recommend Wells books, have his two for California and two for Colorado.

Great guides.

Just in time for the Fall fling

Mine showed up Saturday, I have already read it cover to cover. The first edition was great, the second edition only gets better! Definately spring for the spiral binding. The maps are easier to read and the gps info is on the map, not at the back of the book. The new trails are a nice addition, especially some of the more obscure ones like Dome Plateau and Strike Ravine. The waypoints I have compared to tracks have been on the money, I'll check some more with that waypoint file from Co4x4, thanks for sharing it Randy! I also asked for a discount when I ordered for being a very satisfied first edition customer who has worn out his book, they obliged with $3.75 off!

Too bad we can't attatch gps files here like on the colorado 4x4 board, surely someone can get some use from all of these tracks:
orig.gif

Back