• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock River Arms....

At their location the 5-day class is $1350. They are putting one on here (Hendricksen Range in Parley's Canyon) consolidated to 3 days, although they will still give a 5-day graduation certificate. $550, only 20 spots. I really wish I hadn't just chewed my wife out for spending money, I have the major guilt-trip going just thinking about writing a check for it...... :(

I did my first 3-gun on January 1, it was without question the most fun I've ever had with guns. Very product driven if you want to compete, I used my Beretta 12ga 391 and was limited to 3 shots between loadings. Some guys had $200 shotties (others had $2K shotties) with a 9-round mag and would smoke me on the stages that required 10-12 shots, I spend all my time reloading. I kicked a$$ on the pistol stages though!! We have 4 matches a year here (Utah) and one of them is done at night. Takes about 6 hours to complete the match.

I'd miss my own funeral before I'll miss the next 3-gun matches! And my good pistol will be back in my hands from the smith just in time for the next one.

Find info here if you are interested in coming up to shoot-
www.udpl.net

I think this thing needs some oil. Seems very dry inside. What areas should be oiled before opperation? I don't think this thing has been fired much if any.

In case nobody pm'd this.

Pretty much use an oil like BreakFree CLP on the bolt carrier. There are some other moly or teflon impregnated oils around, whatever it is should be on the light side.

Any shiny places like the 4 rails on the carrier, the underside where the hammer drags and the pin holding the bolt in. The bolt gas rings and body. The extractor hinge, a few drops into the trigger and mag release mechanism. A little bit into the buffer tube every once in a while will help quiet the sound of the spring. Inspect the gas rings periodically to make sure they aren't cracked or otherwise broken. Rotate the rings so the three gaps are spaced apart.

Don't oil the firing pin, it needs to freely slide back and forth. If you oil it and it gets gunked up from firing residue it may stick forward and you'll get a slam fire (or fires.) Most people say it's a bad idea to try and clean the gas tube, it doesn't get clogged anyway and pushing something in there like a pipe cleaner or piece of wire is just as likely to plug it up as anything else.

If you shoot it a lot consider looking for a bolt carrier carbon scraper. Screwdriver handle but the shaft has some scraping blades at the end with a bit of pilot shaft sticking out. Use to scrape the crap out of the bottom of the bottom of the bolt hole in the carrier. Otherwise you're trying to do it with screwdriver blades and such.

5-90 said:
For dogs and such, you'll probably want tho think about loads using the Hornady SXSP in light weights - I find them very accurate at longer ranges, consistently made. Just make sure to "dope out the drift" when you shoot tho - dog towns can usually see shots (as I recall) between 300-1000 yards, and wind is a huge factor with lightweight small-calibre pills. But, you probably know that already...

i haven't used that bullet, but i do use the v-max alot. they seem to be good for most ranges. i also use berger match hp's for the really pin-point stuff.

being from WY. the wind has been known to cause problems with many of my shots. stepping up to a larger caliber seems to help somewhat. but some still don't find the mark. but hey.. i measure the amout of fun by how many rounds fired :D

slider said:
i haven't used that bullet, but i do use the v-max alot. they seem to be good for most ranges. i also use berger match hp's for the really pin-point stuff.

being from WY. the wind has been known to cause problems with many of my shots. stepping up to a larger caliber seems to help somewhat. but some still don't find the mark. but hey.. i measure the amout of fun by how many rounds fired :D

You can also reduce drift by increasing projectile speed (it will still drift, it just takes a bit longer to do.) What calibre are you using? Have you tried something like a .25-06? I think you can get dies and barrels for a .22-06 as well, if you're doing long-range subcalibre shooting.

Short range? Isn't there a new high-speed .17 rimfire out now? I don't recall.

You should be able to find some fairly hairy chamberings in the 6m/m (.243), .25 calibre, or .22 calibre persuasion with a little looking.

5-90 said:

.17 HMR I believe, .17 lead in a .22 mag casing, I bet it makes for a cool plinker. I haven't had the pleasure, unfortunatly.

98XJSport said:
.17 HMR I believe, .17 lead in a .22 mag casing, I bet it makes for a cool plinker. I haven't had the pleasure, unfortunatly.

I knew about the .17HMR - I just thought that someone had cranked it up again...

The .17HMR is a fun plinker! I don't have one myself, but compensations to having worked at a rifle range for a number of years is you eventually get to shoot damn near everything, sooner or later.

Well if there is a cranked up version I bet it's a blast to shoot. I grew up with a .22 in hand, if the .17 shells weren't more expensive it would make a great first gun or trapline firearm.

I have a .17HMR.

Most worthless gun in the wind I have ever owned.

At 50-75 yards in a wind a regular old .22 rimfire will kick its butt.

However...if there is no wind at all...and I mean not even a puff of a breeze...the HMR is a tack driver at 150 yards.

5-90 said:
You can also reduce drift by increasing projectile speed (it will still drift, it just takes a bit longer to do.) What calibre are you using? Have you tried something like a .25-06? I think you can get dies and barrels for a .22-06 as well, if you're doing long-range subcalibre shooting.

You should be able to find some fairly hairy chamberings in the 6m/m (.243), .25 calibre, or .22 calibre persuasion with a little looking.

0-200 yd's or so, i use either the rock river (entry tactical 16in) or a rem 700 varmint special in 222 rem. to stretch out alittle further. i use a somewhat accurized M1A 308. (that's the one i hunt big game with) i also have a browning bar in 300 WSM with the BOSS system that reaches out pretty good. any further than what i can do with those is usually missed do to operator error. (still learning) :D

Back