• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Autohome Overland

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Autohome Overland...Installed Pic

No more ground tents for Johnny.... :D

I'v been wanting one for a few years now to ease backpain during setup/teardown, seemed my savings always got diverted for something else the house or kids needed. So i decided to sell the Willys to purchase one. Took awhile but i found a guy who saw my post... and offered up a deal.

The deal consisted of a slightly used Overland 1.8m (Large) model and cash. It's a bit bigger than a queen size mattress with room for gear.... which is what i wanted. The guy just happens to be about 1/2 hour away... this works great for the both of us.

I'll be mounting it on the XJ till i can aquire another 1/4 ton trailer. Then i'll mount to that once other mods are done.

Anyways, i'm stoked. Heres a pic of my new Overland.

LJsRTT.jpg

Installed and setup.... bolted it up wrong way, will rotate it 180* to open on drivers side.

OverlandonXJ005.jpg

Last edited:
So i did some measuring yesterday... this Overland 1.8 is 71" wide, this will take up the entire length of the roof area for a side opening. I didnt realize it would take up that much space. So be it.

So, i have a Thule setup consisting of 2 loadbars. I'm going to get another set for a total of 4. Then build a flat deck on top. What should i use?

I can get a sheet of expanded steel for flooring. Would making an outer perimeter (that sat flush on top of loadbar) help to strengthen this up? Rough estimates would place the loadbars near 18" centers.

What would you guys suggest?

John B said:
So i did some measuring yesterday... this Overland 1.8 is 71" wide, this will take up the entire length of the roof area for a side opening. I didnt realize it would take up that much space. So be it.

So, i have a Thule setup consisting of 2 loadbars. I'm going to get another set for a total of 4. Then build a flat deck on top. What should i use?

I can get a sheet of expanded steel for flooring. Would making an outer perimeter (that sat flush on top of loadbar) help to strengthen this up? Rough estimates would place the loadbars near 18" centers.

What would you guys suggest?

Alminum diamondplate...........Strong slip resistant and easy to work with. Comes in 4X8 sheets but is expensive.

mikeforte said:
Alminum diamondplate...........Strong slip resistant and easy to work with. Comes in 4X8 sheets but is expensive.

Sorry Mike, i think the whole flat platform idea is off as i am going to start a trailer build to mount the tent on. In the few instances where i want the tent on the XJ i'll just use the Thule system.

I still like the idea of a flat platform, but that will have to wait till another day.

looks sweet, i'm thinking about the same set up.

Back