• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name that part!!!!

jeepbme

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the technical name for the splitter on the rear axle of the a dana 44 that connects the soft lines and hard brake lines together. Kinda T shaped.

Please help..

jeepbme said:
Whats the technical name for the splitter on the rear axle of the a dana 44 that connects the soft lines and hard brake lines together. Kinda T shaped.

Please help..

you already guessed it.

Try "Rear Brake Distribution Block."

Some aftermarket rubber hoses will have that part on the end already - it's worth checking the boxes on the shelf.

I don't have my OEMR catalogues handy, or I'd give you the factory name for the thing.

Why are you replacing yours? They don't usually wear out, and (being on top of the axle) aren't subject to damage without causing bigger problems. Axle swap, perhaps?

I just went through my Raybestos catalogue, and they don't list that block separately. Either it's incorporated into their hose, or they don't bother (and they don't say which...)

This is also a case where a trip to the dealer (whichever one supports the donor, if it's a swap) may be warranted.

5-90

brake line splitter / union adapter / doohickey

Go to a real auto parts store instead of auto zone.
The people who work at a real auto parts store have the intellegence to look in a parts book and find what you are describing, instead of saying,
"I don't see it in the computer!":dunce:

The rear brake hose should have the fitting in it. If you still have your existing one on the jeep, you may be able to reuse that one as long as the hard lines on the rear differential are of the same size. I would bet that they are, as this is a fairly standardized thing. Worst case you could remake the hardlines from your existing rear brake hose out to the wheel cylinders. Best of luck

I had the RE extended & braided hose and snagged it on some branches and tore it apart. I replaced it with a soft brake hose from a 97 dodge ram 4x4. It is an inch longer than the RE one and uses the same fittings. Its not steel braided though. Cost $37 from Advanced auto. So far so good!

HTH

Thanks guys...for the time being i used the fitting from the 8.25 which has the crimped hose attached, only problem is the 44 axle has a smaller hole in it to attach the box to the axle. I probably patch it closed with some JB Weld and mount it to it some other way.

jeepbme said:
Thanks guys...for the time being i used the fitting from the 8.25 which has the crimped hose attached, only problem is the 44 axle has a smaller hole in it to attach the box to the axle. I probably patch it closed with some JB Weld and mount it to it some other way.

I went with the longer brake line from a 85 YJ.It had the larger hole in the block.And I drilled and tapped the hole larger for the combination hold down/vent and plugged the existing vent on the 44.I did have the part #for the vent somewhere---
Wayne

Back