• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No 4L

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks. Back with another post. Off roading for almost 3 hours in the icy and snowy forest today. Was enjoying just lumbering along. Decided with the inclines and low speeds that 4L would be a good idea but the lever won't go part high. Engages fine from off to 4H but no neutral or 4L. I know from experience that with age these become a little tricky to get into 4L but this one completely refused. 4H works great and no odd noises to be heard. Any thoughts? Simple as a linkage greasing or major repair.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tested it. In neutral it will engage and disengage but it does so with a little bit of grinding. Would it be best to switch in and out of 4l with the engine off?

You need to be slowly moving (<5 mph), then trans to neutral, then shift through transfer case neutral directly to 4L. Then re-engage transmission to D. Will be difficult to impossible if you're stopped.

You need to be slowly moving (<5 mph), then trans to neutral, then shift through transfer case neutral directly to 4L. Then re-engage transmission to D. Will be difficult to impossible if you're stopped.

I done it flexed on a hill. Was in 4h and the incline became too much. Stopped tranny to neutral, shift to 4L, let it roll back about 2-3 feet, throw it in drive and good to go.

87' XJ Wagoneer I-6 AW4 NP242

It did shift into 4l neutral and stopped. But that grinding is not something I'd like to do again. I'll have to try that neutral thing. For some reason I remember being in an 84 and shifting seamlessly into 4l no problem that's why I forgot. But next time I'm out ill try the neutral but rolling trick. If it still grinds when shifting into 4l ill just not use it unless I absolutely have to

You need to be "slightly rolling" with the transmission shifted into neutral !

Back