• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need an Engine Builder recommendation in LA area

bajabronco

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am getting ready to build a 4.7 stroker for my XJ. I have been talking to Russ P a bunch about it, and am going with one of his stroker kits, as well as he can do the machine work for me. He is too busy now to actually do engine build, so am looking for someone in the LA area to do the engine assembly. I don't have the time, tools nor knowledge to do it myself right now. Any recommendations for a good builder in the LA area who could do the assembly?

It takes less than $30 in special tools and no more knowledge than installing the stroker will take. Stinkyfab did a great video series on their build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrWUichlxEI&t=27s

His engine was done in 3 saturdays. It could have been done in one with less beer and not having a missing half of a main bearing in the box.

Thanks Cal! - I am checking out the videos. - Want to come up to LA near LAX and build an engine with me? All the beer and pizza (I saw how important pizza is in the video ) you can drink and eat! I need a Mike and Cal to help me out also :p If I end up tackling it myself I will pick your brain a bunch before I tackle it to make sure I do it correctly.

Yeah I'd be down to drink your beer for an afternoon, and Mark is usually good for some free pizza too.

Putting a stroker together isn't very hard. There are a few little details to get right but they are called out in that video series.

I’m not real technically knowledgeable, but would be down to turn a wrench and help out to the extent I can. Always good to have extra hands for the installation of the engine into the Jeep, at a minimum. So hit me up when you’re ready to do the job.

Given the attention to detail shown elsewhere on your rig I have no doubt you can handle this.

WRT the tools you need, I highly recommend getting a ring installation tool designed for your exact size bore (incl. overbore). The only time I ever had trouble with an engine build was when I broke a ring using an adjustable band clamp.

Most of the work involved in building an engine is just a matter of paying attention to lots of little details. The nice thing is that it doesn't require getting up and down and out from under the vehicle or jamming your paws in blind holes lined with sheet metal burr edges. I honestly enjoy doing the final assembly on engines. If Russ were local to me I would be talking to him about taking some of the load off his plate.

Yes.

Those are a pleasure to use.

In fact, if it is a size I don't have (need to check, but odds are good I don't) and if you don't want to keep it after you are done with your motor I will buy it from you. Either parts train it south to CoachBruce or I will pay shipping.

One of these days Russ is going to get around to my motor, and once I have that one in place I am probably going to want to build another. Odds are good I will need the .060" over on at least one of them.

Back