• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

John Bull

Hakeeb

NAXJA Forum User
What mod are recommended for John Bull? I have a 3" lift on 31" tires. If I can drive should I be able to make it? or do I need more lift and more tire?

Definitely rock rails.

Your driving skills will be the biggest factor. Ive seen guys run it on 31's open front and rear and not struggle much. I have also seen guys on 35's and lockers with the spastic foot peddle disease have a horrible time. In general, with limited wheelin experience you should be fine with 32's, sliders, and one locker. With a few years wheelin experience then 31's, sliders, open/open, and a tow strap should be fine. If you don't have sliders with 31's then don't expect to be able to open your doors when you exit the trail. For a reference, Max(webdog) on here ran the Rubicon on 31's. If you can run the Rubi on 31's then you should definately be able to run John Bull on 31's. Ofcourse you do need to factor in the fact that Max has some experience and skill driving his rig and had it armored up to the point of a Mad Max mobile.

Last edited:
31s open/open is fine.

Just don't drive like Cal.

Definitely rock rails.

x2...i've ran john bull with 31 kms,open front and rear on 4"lift. i did fab up some simple rock rails the night before(they sure did their job). i did come home from a run with a smaller gas tank and a few dents in my stock diff covers(nothing to bad).

A stock Ram 1500 ran it when we were there for SoCal Fest 2009...

He did have some help from a winch, 10-15 men, a HiLift, a lot of rock stacking, and much new body damage, though...:D

A stock Ram 1500 ran it when we were there for SoCal Fest 2009...

He did have some help from a winch, 10-15 men, a HiLift, a lot of rock stacking, and much new body damage, though...:D

That guy was an idiot, his partners told him not to take it on the trail but he didn't care.

My dad did John bull on 31" BFGs, a 3" lift open/open and no skids. Honestly though, trails change from time to time so you're runnig a gamble of running the trail in it's rare form.

I just ran bull on sat, I have 6.5" lift, under armor and rails, good thing too.

We had 4 jeeps, mine, lifted and built TJ, mildy built TJ 3" lift and lockers, and a rubicon with a little lift and 32" tires.

All of us had rails, all of us used them. There is a squeeze between a couple trees about mid point and all of us now own a part of one of the trees.

With 3" of lift and 31's you are going to bang around alot and will need some tugging here and there but with the proper line you will have fun.

Have a good time.

Leep

When we were there in 09, they were piling rocks at the entrance to be a kind of gatekeeper so that people like that guy in the Ram can't get in and break further down the trail, if they run it in the correct direction. I got through on 33s with stock gears and a welded rear, my buddy snapped a front shaft on 32s with dual ARBs. He was locked in with the front wheels cranked all the way though. I didn't touch the underbody really at all aside from the brackets for my long arms. Banged them up good.

Yep, it’s not an easy trail. If you talk to guys who are lifted to the sky and on 37” tires, they’ll tell you it’s not challenging. But for those with budget lifts on daily drivers and bald 33” tires, it’ll definitely hand you all you need, and probably a tad more. Bull is not a beginner’s trail.

If you talk to guys who are lifted to the sky and on 37” tires, they’ll tell you it’s not challenging.

It was an easy trail when I was on 31s ;)

I didn’t have a whole lot of trouble with it either, but *driving style* comes into play big time I think. I’m a careful creeper, and know where my wheels are. If someone has more of a ‘gun it and hope for the best’ style, Bull is going to jump up and bite them. :D

I had a good time on it. Challenging enough to keep you interested, but as has been said about an XJ on 33s, you can conquer just about any trail in SoCal without much trouble...

if u have good tires, swaybar discos, and a little trail knowledge, u can get thru. use spotters when needed, and pay attention to them. damage to your rig is very possible, but should just be "trail scars"

Back