• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear pinion suggestions.

Rubicon1785

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj base model with the moog cc782 front coils, newer dorman leaf packs and rc rear 1" shackles. It sits about 19.75" on all 4 corners from the center of the axle to the bottom of the flare. I put a 3/4" re tcase drop and it helped alot but still looking to track down a vib that shakes the passenger seat around 50-55 then again around 75+. cant really feel much in the steering even after rotation. Not sure if i should get a 1" drop? Or shim the rear pinion down a couple degree, it looks a little higher than it should be for the oem shaft which the shackles may have contributed to? I will try to get a better pic soon but here's what I got now. I'm going to get the tires rebalance soon to make sure. I know i could upgrade to a sye and all that but this is basically a daily driver with alot of well maintained miles and I dont want to put a bunch of money in it for 1.5-2" of lift and 30" tires. Anyway id like to know what some of you xj veterans recommend.

bFxJBEal.jpg

That's a '97+ for you, get a sye kit.

It looks like you don't have a sye, so your pinion is pointed wrong. It should not be pointed at the tcase. It should be pointed parallel with the output of the tcase, not at it. What you have is correct if you were running a sye.

I know but all i have is new leaf springs that raised it back to stock or a little more and then added the rc shackles bolted to 1". Looks way off though for just a little height. I dont plan to buy a sye. Should i drop the case to 1" instead of 3/4" that its at? Or shim the pinion down a little?

Lift shackles will effectively rotate the pinion. I would measure your current angles of the tcase yoke and the pinion. They should be equal but opposite. The pinion is better a few degrees lower to account for axle wrap. measure it and figure out where you need to go instead of throwing parts at it and hoping for the best. Have you also verified the front shaftnis good?

Back