• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj loud noise at start of crank - no start

No, but that is considered bad teeth!

Ah. So maybe it has been ground down and is not engaging. Sounds like I need to replace it then. Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

944a4e9e19d4a9054f038588ecca470d.png

Pic of the teeth with starter removed. Will crank engine a bit to see more. Nothing broken or missing.

Not too good but I have seen worst than that work. Turn the engine over slowly by hand using a socket on the front of the engine (have someone help you) while you inspect the entire ring gear.

Yes, the ring gear is attached to a flex plate on automatics and a flywheel on the manual shift transmission.

Do you have the original starter? If you do, compare the bevel of the teeth of the pinion on the original to those of the replacement. The teeth should be beveled in such a way to allow the pinion teeth to engage those of the ring gear easily and not crashing onto them. Also, the bevel should be in the same direction.

Just grasping at straws here.

update:
- not able to get engine to turn over after rotating a bit...tried several times in case I was still missing some gears
- looked at other new starter that was removed and it looks fine...thinking maybe I sheared off gears on that one
- I have battery voltage both without and with the key in the first position across the solenoid

how much voltage to the solenoid, and are you watching the meter while someone is trying to start?

Back