• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cps ....pulling hair out!

pezman65

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my problem 91 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4.0. Replaced CPS twice had it diagnosed by my local auto shop they actually replaced twice themselves keeps on messing up. Bought two Replacements from Napa both are crap so my Jeep just sits here. Going online looking for Mopar OEM pretty hard to find. I know this is a topic on here a lot but this sucks man Jeep does not make them anymore. Any thoughts would be grateful!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I guess my next thing to do is maybe to buy one from Crown Automotive. Anyone have any luck with these? Or I'm going to the scrap yard looking for a OEM

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

You may want to check the input voltage on your CPS. There are more than one sensor on the input voltage tree, when another sensor partially shorts (low resistance) it can suck the voltage out of the others.

I don't have the FSM for a 91 that input voltage changes from year to year, most likely 8 volts orange wire. Volt test from the orange wire to battery ground with the key in the run position. Test both connected and disconnected.

It may not be the CPS itself, the specs change slightly from one brand to another which may be reason some work and some don't. You may be right at the edge of what the computer will tolerate.

I'd also clean out the connectors well. The voltage coming out of the CPS is tiny it doesn't take much oil, corrosion or looseness in the connector pins to screw up the pulse.

I've had good results with Standard senors (Rock Auto) but seriously I've had just an many issues with wiring, connectors or even water, coolant or oil soaked sensors than outright sensor failure. I've gotten so I check out the other causes before I rush a sensor purchase.

There's a product called "Kopper-Shield" that's a paste that enhances electrical contact. Electricians have used it for years, and it's found in electric supply stores.

I use it on the CPS plug-in contacts. It prevents corrosion and gives a solid connection, at a spot that seems to cause lots of problems.

Back