• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got Flexplate? 98xj

javelin401

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=&quot]Hello All.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It appears there’s a few ways to go sourcing a new flexplate for the 98 jx 4.0.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m new to the xj but intend to hang on to this piece. Old plate suffers from a few areas of starter spur mash and time to pull the AW4. Saving $ in this area isn’t top priority and I’m leery of low cost options. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mopar – discontinued (provided p/n 52118078AB called parts counter today)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Crown – “we do not carry that item. I find part# 52118257 that shows on MOPAR parts site”. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Morris 4x4 – Omix-ADA p/n[FONT=&quot]52117761(says fits 2001-2000 I question this) $128 sale$[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Auto zone – Pioneer $112[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Advance – ATP $49[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Summit – ATP $40[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pep boys, O Reilly, Napa – N/A [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]164 teeth 13.81-13.83 dia. A lack of continuity in the part numbers,:confused1 maybe there is some xcompatibility in the fit across some years?
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So that’s what I’ve found and I’ll leave it to the knowledge base here to offer suggestions. I’ve seen plenty of cracked plates common prob NAXJA threads. What would you install or avoid? [/FONT]
Thanks!!

I used the Summit/ATP one when I built my stroker. Sent it with everything for balance and no changes were needed!

RCP,
how long ago was that? recent amazon reviews 2018, 19 cite sloppy, incorrect CPS holes, runout. the good reviews are "fits, works, fast shipping", not too convincing...

It was June of '17 and mine was in perfect order and double checked by my machinist!

Good day to all,
Just posting an update as i've gotten this finaly done. I installed the ATP version. All the CPS holes looked fine and it seemed ok to bolt in. While it runs, drives fine, the opposite to the original gear mash issue has arisen. On more than 1/2 crank ups the starter drive now hangs up after it fires and makes the ugly noise for a second until it releases. I pulled starter and inspected - nothing out of whack. It never hung with old flexplate, drive gear isn't worn.
Thoughts?
:hang:

Shimming will not be the solution here. I believe that is a fix applied to the 4cyl version. There's just too much run-out in combination with out-of-round. It really looks God-awful watching it spin with the inspection cover removed.
I'd post the short video if i had the knowledge to do it. Every engine revolution it tries to spit out the starter gear in the same spot and I even caught it sending a shower of filings when attempting to get a look at the starter gear when cranking. :doh:pulling the trans again and will not go with ATP. Omix-Ada maybe?

Resolved. After 2 bad flexplates, 1st from Advance, ATP excessive run out and possibly out of round, 2nd, Omix-Ada never had a prayer, wrong crank holes (symmetrical pattern will not mount). Eastcoastmoparts saves day good plate no more nasty gear nashing.
Henry

Back