• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where are YOU gonna wheel Memorial Weekend?

90xjblue

NAXJA Forum User
Hmm, where to wheel this memorial weekend? I live in Yakima, WA and the whole damn forest is closed over here=[
Where are other people from around my area gonna go? Looking for suggestions!

My family usually camps in rimrock every year! idk what to do lol.

I've got a buddy with property up at Liberty, so that's where I'll be. Although, I believe Liberty is subject to the same closure so I'm hoping that it dries out a bit up there.

Naches, manastash, rim rock, liberty are all closed due to destruction during the wet/winter months that occurs during winter wheelin.

This is also why you saw Evans closed over the winter.

Im crossing my fingers they will have some trails open by memorial weekend! I plan on driving up to the rimrock area the weekend before memorial to see what trails are open and what are closed.

Naches, manastash, rim rock, liberty are all closed due to destruction during the wet/winter months that occurs during winter wheelin.

This is also why you saw Evans closed over the winter.

This is not correct. Evans Creek was closed because it was set aside as a nesting area for a migratory bird the Marbled Murrelet. I went to the Forest Service meetings and this is the reason we were given for the seasonal closure. In fact the head ranger said in his opinion the least amount of damage occurs in the middle of winter when there is a snow pack (the months that Evans was closed). So "winter wheelin" is not the problem. What he did say was that the most damage occurs in what they refer to as the "shoulder" seasons right before and after winter when it is really wet and there is a lot of runoff and erosion. This is why they will eventually start closing specific trails up at Evans Creek during these seasons to prevent too much erosion happening.

:thumbup:Thank for the clearification on Evans and everything else. I was talking out of my:moon: a little, as far as the wet wheeling, that was what I was trying to state.

Even though its still a ways out, I hope everyone stays safe this memorial and please respect the decision that these areas are closed!!!

Last edited:
I'll be in the Nevada desert, racing!

racerig2.jpg

I`m doing what my Memorial Day thread said , Liberty area .

As stated before it's closed till June 15th, please respect the dnr's decision and not illegally wheel there.

Good luck wheeling Liberty. Trail entrances will be blocked and there will be plenty of law enforcement around making sure that everyone obeys the seasonal closure.

As stated before it's closed till June 15th, please respect the dnr's decision and not illegally wheel there.
You didn`t read the other thread did you ? In the past years I found ROADS that went to some mines ,meadows and some other scenic areas . I`ve been on those trails when its been muddy ,some of that I don`t want to experience again nor do I want to see anymore damage done like in the past .So I`m glad to see some closier to save the area..Now if you could get some of those Beer and throttle down till it breaks [AH`s] off all the trails it would be better yet...

There is a work party the weekend before Memorial Day to get the area somewhat cleared and I THINK they are going to try and open some of the lower areas.

FYI: minimum $1500 fine.

There is a work party the weekend before Memorial Day to get the area somewhat cleared and I THINK they are going to try and open some of the lower areas.

FYI: minimum $1500 fine.

I would like to get some more info on this. Could you point me in the right direction?

Back