• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BROKEN WHEEL STUD

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
so in the process of installling a re 3.5sf to a friends mj, on the last rear wheel, we came accross two seized rear wheel studs... one conviently broke... the other is seized... and the wheel is stuck on by this single remaining wheel stud... it wont come off.... is there any trick to getting this thing off? i beleive it is spinning in the rear.... so you cant just apply more torque............

URGENCY IS THE NAME OF THE GAME

thanks

If it's a C Clip axle, pull the diff cover, pop the c clips out, and pull the entire wheel out with the axleshaft attatched... Disconnect the brakeline first obviously.

sorry, this is a dana 35 axle....
how complicated is this gonna be? any seals? or other stuff i will need from the parts store? besides studs/fluid? thanks for the quick response

No seals needed... The year would help me determine if its a c-clip or a semifloat.

You'll need fluid to do the job, and some patience to get those c-clips out, they're pretty easy when you've done them, but if you haven't, they can be a bit tricky.

i pulled the diff cover, hoping there would be two obvious c-clips... but i am out of my league, anyone got a great referance to pulling a d35 axle?

every install i read says to pull off the wheels/brake.... ? am i supposd to remove them on the one wheel i have access to?

Last edited:
No (in fact you cannot pull the carrier without pulling the axles)

You do have to remove the cross pin (There is a bolt on teh carrier for it, remove that bolt and knock it out) then remove the C-Clips. Just push in on the axle shaft / wheel in order to pull them out (Was easy as pie on the one C-Clip D35 I pulled). Then just slide the shaft out.

ONe thing, you might find that the brakes are holding the axle in (if the brakes are adjusted tight and the drum is worn it could grab), if so just adjust the brakes out.

air hammer and a cutting tip, trim/slice the lug-nut down being carefull not to hit the wheel. You could also drill out the stud and break off the lug.

heres an idea (redneck engineering)with the spinning stud/nut at the top,leave all the other ones off,let the jeep down by using a floor jack till it just touches the ground and little by little let it down an rock it back an forth it just may break.........................something-- be carefull though.:sure: or did ya try tightening it again an using a long breaker bar an just snap it off by keep tightening it till it pops?

thats is leave the floorjack just under where ever you had it leave some room for when/if it drops and rock the whole jeep back an forth not the wheel.sorry fergot to mention that- i some times ferget i have dain bramage

i would do the whole removing the axleshaft idea, then drill out the stud from the backside. then punch the rest of the stud/lug nut out. the crosspin is held in by a 5/16" head cap screw.

Blaine B. said:
What if the lugnut isn't sticking out far enough?
Well, lets hope that it is for his sake, cause this will get it off. If not, I don't know.

i think i may have gone and made things worse... i successfully removed the axle... got to the back of the axle studs. tried to use vice grips... but this is going NOWHERE.... so drilled it out, most of the way thru, would have kept going if home depot was open later then 9pm... welded a nut onto it... to try and break the head.... STILL going nowhere.... so ima goto the junkyard tommorrow, and grab some axles... local junkyard has a 50% off sale this weekend.... and i can use a set of spare axles....

thanks for everyones help

Back