• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noisey fuel pump, sounds like an air compressor, IS THIS NORMAL???

bigblueandugly

NAXJA Forum User
this is my 5th xj but this is the first one with such a noisey electric feul pump, also the first one with out any carpet in the back, is this why its so loud???, and it is very loud. also my engine cuts in and out sometimes under heavy acceleration so i am thinking i might need a new one. need help, how hard are they to do?? and how much are new ones, how much should i pay to have it installed?? any help would be much aprecciated.

thanks, jordan

my 89's fuel pump sounds like a stereo.not static,but that sound when you have a good stereo and your in-between stations and you've got the volume up.thats not TOO good of a description....

I changed mine about a month ago and it definitly hums. Not a bad job but the noise is kinda annoying.

My 90' was loud, I replaced it for no other reason than I thought it was the original. Turns out that it had been changed before and was in the bracket incorrectly. The bracket has to be modified to fit the new pumps and whoever did mine just put the thing in there without the rubber isolator on one end and the positive post was almost touching the bracket, it would have shorted and quit. The upper part of the bracket has to be notched out to allow the pump to rest in-between the isolators with out touching any metal.

I can't even here mine run now.

The bad news. I just replaced mine in my ZJ. Don't know if its the same part but it cost me $450 out of the box. I hope the XJ is less.

bigblueandugly said:
YES! that was the response i needed, thanks man, how hard was it to modify?

I put the bracket in my drill press and drilled a 1/2" hole in the center of the metal that needs to be removed and then snipped out the rest with tin snips. You may need to grind a little out for clearance with a die grinder.

Sorry I don't have pics to explain what I'm trying to describe, but when you set the pump up into that top bracket you will see what material needs to be removed. Just make sure that the +/- posts are away from any metal and that the bracket does not touch any part of the pump, just the rubber isolators. This will make it a lot less noisy.

Hope that helps.

Back