• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken lug stud...how safe?

Good for a while, but keep an eye on the other four, hate to see a wheel fall off. Just get it fixed ASAP.

We ran a Ford Festiva on 2 and it held up until we put it in a ditch... Thats what rallying one does to it tho.

My F-250 is missing a bolt on the front passenger wheel and it hasn't been a problem (still passed inspection), but then again, it's got 8-bolt wheels.

One of the bolts on the driver side front wheel of my XJ looks like it's melted slightly; I think that's related to the shot bearing in that wheel but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
20 minute job, pull wheel, unmount caliper, pull rotor, wack the broken one out with a deadblow or even a baby sledge and pin and take it with you so you get one with the same size splines and threads. Threads are 1/2-20's
Pickup a couple of nuts for it as well as a bunch of washers, put the new stud thru, put about 1/2" of washers on and use the nut to tighten and pull the new one thru, you could use a c-clamp and a deep impact socket but it better be a good c-clamp and not a cheapie...

I know I'm bringing up a dead topic, but at least I searched :). I'm wondering what exactly is the procedure to replace a rear stud. Do I need to pull the axle shaft or can I do it with everything on the car. Sorry for the stupid question, but I've never had to replace a lug stud before

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Phager said:
I know I'm bringing up a dead topic, but at least I searched :). I'm wondering what exactly is the procedure to replace a rear stud. Do I need to pull the axle shaft or can I do it with everything on the car. Sorry for the stupid question, but I've never had to replace a lug stud before

Thanks in advance.

Pat
Just remove the wheel and drum, then use a hammer to knock the broken stud out. It's really easy, and nothing more has to come apart.

You have to replace your front hub assembly. It will cost you between $100.00-140.00 depending on where you buy it. It is less than a hour to replace.

Thanks Anony91xj, I was hoping it would be a simple procedure.

1993 Red XJ: In my case it's one of the rear studs, so it looks like I'll just need a new stud and a BFH :D, thanks for the advice though.

Pat

Back