• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What pilot bushing for BA10/5 to AX-15?

Bender

NAXJA Forum User
I did this swap about 4.5 years ago and used a bushing instead of a pilot bearing. The bushing I used came with the tranny as a swap kit.

I'm swapping engines and need to put my 1998 AX-15 onto a 1989 4.0L. I know the O.D of the bushings used in the 1989 engines is about 1" and the 1998 engines closer to 1.75". It appears as though the crank in the 1989 engine has two stepped in locations...one about 1.75" and the other deeper at 1".

Do all 4.0L's have the same crank or are the ends of some different? Can I use the pilot bearing from the 1998 year (1.75" O.D) and press it into the outer portion of my 1989 crank? If I do this will the tranny input shaft splines go in far enough to hit this pilot bearing?

What have others done?

I mated a 99 AX-15 to my 88 4.0L with a $2 '70s era CJ bushing. The "two bucks" is important 'cause I discovered (the hard way unfortunately) that there are more expensive CJ alternatives that don't fit.
Jeep on!
-Pete

actually, i'm fairly sure that there are several different pilot bearing options that were included in xj's. i just replaced my 89 4.0 w/ another 89 4.0, and the bearings weren't the same. i ended up finding one from the dealer. in my opinion, take GOOD measurements of the crank recess and the input shaft diameters, and ask and compare at the parts counter.

dan f.

Turns out the bushing I used a few years back was from an early 70's CJ. At the time I just found one that fit but wasn't sure of the application. I've ordered another so all is well, and the price can't be beat either :D

IMy friend had his bushing machined down to fit this crank by a mcahine shop cause he couldnt find the right one.

Do you have a part number on the cj one?? I amm about to do this swap too. I am using a 94 Cherokee AX-15/NP231 in my 88 MJ

'73 CJ-5, 304, 3 speed. That's the one I used when I swapped a TJ AX-15 into my '89 Puegot equipped XJ. There was secondary sleeve pressed into the crank that had to be removed first, you'll see.

forgiven said:
'73 CJ-5, 304, 3 speed. That's the one I used when I swapped a TJ AX-15 into my '89 Puegot equipped XJ. There was secondary sleeve pressed into the crank that had to be removed first, you'll see.
To all that have used this cj bushing,how is the longevity of this part?Do they wear out quicker than a caged needle bearing?Will it affect shifting at all?
Sorry for the stupid questions but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing because dropping the tranny is no fun.

[font=&quot]For what it worth, I’v had mine in for a year and a half or something and had no problems. Not a long test I know but… In theory the impregnated brass will be less likely to fail because it cant dry out and overheat the rollers (it don’t have none). This bearings job is to quell vibration at the end of that long shaft. I would think the load on the bearing will depend somewhat on the quality of you clutch and how well its balanced.[/font]

When I did my AX-15 swap I discovered that the pilot bearing that came out of my 4.0L didn't have any bearings left in it! That can't happen with the bushing so it gives me piece of mind. I've had the CJ bushing on my MJ ('88 with '99 AX-15) for three years now with no problems. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back