• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler install - how do I clamp everything in?

jeep.xj.4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Re: Tailphpes0jre for@mirls

[QUÎRE]Zi]Oâlginally ported iy XJ88Ê`eper [/i]
Here is What i recommend.... Get Rid Of The Tailpipe Go But @ Te2lin`tor kavd thda ctt t¨d rdductx off the outpuD#and weld on a 3" dump right off the muffler. Gives it a nice deep tone¾%if you tould lYhe to sDd a pic4}re let de know and I whil post some. [/QUOTE]
This exhaust dump sounds like a good idea dm md, h>x do I i that?0@ot anypuics? T8dnkr.

I am replacing my stock muffler with a Flowtech "Raptor" because it has a giant rust hole in it. On the end of the stock muffler where it clamps onto the cat, can I just unclamp it and slide in the new muffler and clamp it back on? Then on the other end, to reattach the tailpipe, can I just use a short peice of 2.5" pipe to slide over the muffler outlet and the tailpipe? If I can do that do I use 2.5" clamps or 2.25"?

Thanks!

Check the piece from the muffler back, pretty close, they usually rot out before the muffler (about two to one). Find a shop and get it welded. Clamps come loose and really don´t make things easier to take apart. Check your hangers.

8Mud said:
Check the piece from the muffler back, pretty close, they usually rot out before the muffler (about two to one). Find a shop and get it welded. Clamps come loose and really don´t make things easier to take apart. Check your hangers.

The tailpipe is a bit rusty, but it will do. No holes, I think I might buy a new tip for it. The muffler I am using was only $15, and I plan on getting a flowmaster sometime in the future. (along with a stroker :D) Until then, clamps will be fine, they did hold up fine on the factory muffler for the last 13 years. Rusty as hell...but it still works. The only thing I need to know about is what fits into what....

ZmOz said:
The tailpipe is a bit rusty, but it will do. No holes, I think I might buy a new tip for it. The muffler I am using was only $15, and I plan on getting a flowmaster sometime in the future. (along with a stroker :D) Until then, clamps will be fine, they did hold up fine on the factory muffler for the last 13 years. Rusty as hell...but it still works. The only thing I need to know about is what fits into what....

I would recommend buying as many pieces of new tubing as you can. They are not very expensive. I think you can gat a new tailpipe at Napa for under $30. This will make assembly sooo much easier.

Next, always remember as you buy I.D. = Inside Diameter, O.D. = Outside Diameter.

Working from front of vehicleback you always want the front tube to be inside the next one. This will prevent leaks and make a proper fit.

Although I do not recommend, It is ok to clamp as many of the new vehicles do have "clamped" together assemblies. This has the potential to losen over time but as long as you check tightness after a couple weeks you will be ok. Make sure exhaust is not hanging down to get caught on anything or you might just grab a clamp on a rock and..... Boom, loud exhaust :0)

As for sizes of clamps, well that depends on tube diameters. If you are going with 2.5" then you obviously need a clamp large enough to go around it. Pretty self explainitory. The box the clamp comes in will tell you what tube dia. it works with.

Good luck, exhaust is fun. :0) Just read my profile.

Tailpipes are for girls

Here is What i recommend.... Get Rid Of The Tailpipe Go But A Terminator have them cut the reducer off the output and weld on a 3" dump right off the muffler. Gives it a nice deep tone. if you would like to see a picture let me know and I will post some.

If you want something as simple as a dump, let me know what I.D. (inside diameter) the muffler outlet is and I will make you one. Only cost to you is shipping.

Re: Tailpipes are for girls

XJ88Jeeper said:
Here is What i recommend.... Get Rid Of The Tailpipe Go But A Terminator have them cut the reducer off the output and weld on a 3" dump right off the muffler. Gives it a nice deep tone. if you would like to see a picture let me know and I will post some.

Yes, I would like to see a picture. Mark268 - I might be interested in that...I'll let you know.

Thanks guys!

OK As Soon As I get Home Today I'll Post A Pic.

I just thought of something...I have to pass an emissions test here, are they not going to like a dump? I would think it would be hard for them to stick their tester up there...

no, they'll hate the dump....

ZmOz said:
I just thought of something...I have to pass an emissions test here, are they not going to like a dump? I would think it would be hard for them to stick their tester up there...

You haven't posted where you are from, but most states require that the exhause extend to the rear bumper, or discharge to the side BEHIND the rear wheels if it's a station wagon with an operable rear window. The dump is a bad idea -- you're asking for fumes to get into the cabin.

Are you aware that the stock exhaust is 2-1/4"? I see several references to 2-1/2" intermingled with references to using stock parts, so I just wonder if you know how all this is going to fit together.

Eagle said:
You haven't posted where you are from, but most states require that the exhause extend to the rear bumper, or discharge to the side BEHIND the rear wheels if it's a station wagon with an operable rear window. The dump is a bad idea -- you're asking for fumes to get into the cabin.

Are you aware that the stock exhaust is 2-1/4"? I see several references to 2-1/2" intermingled with references to using stock parts, so I just wonder if you know how all this is going to fit together.

The references to 2 1/2" are about using a peice of 2 1/2" as a coupler for two 2 1/4" peices. I've heard about it before and that was the main thing I was asking about here. Now that I got the muffler off, (boy that was fun!) I decided I really like the sound it makes with just the cat. :) I asked the DEQ (emissions testors) about no muffler, and they say it's ok as long as it's not too loud and the tailpipe still comes out the back where they can reach it. So, I think I'll just put the tailpipe back and leave the muffler off.

:eek: :eek:OMG You Did Not Say You Like The Sound It Makes With Just A Cat!!!!! Did You Previously Own An Import?? Cause I Know It Soundes Like A Rice Burner With Just A Cat!!! :eek: :eek:

No, it does not sound like a ricer. I must say that I HATE them, and wouldn't drive my Jeep for a second if it sounded anything like it. Maybe mine sounds different because the cat is clogged up and needs replacing...

Back