• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is something supposed to be in here?

AdamGBabcock

NAXJA Forum User
34qtg8x.jpg

I can't remember if fluid was previously on BOTH sides of the master cylinder or if this is normal. Reason why I'm checking is that my rear passenger wheel cylinder just went out and leaked some fluid. Haven't had time to fix it so I checked my fluid level to make sure I wasn't out and was surprised to see one side empty and one side full. Anyone want to confirm for me whether this is how it should be or if I'm running out of fluid? I couldn't find any markings suggesting where the level should be on either side of the MC.

Thanks,
Adam
:repair:

Crap that's what I didn't want to hear lol. So is that side for the rear brakes and the bigger one for the fronts? If I add more fluid won't there be an air pocket and will I need to bleed them? I hate brakes =( What happens if I use it for a while without fluid? lol

They should both be about 95% full!!!

WOW!!!!

The something, is brake fluid, by the way, LOL.:D

The small front one is for the rear, the large rear one is for front brakes.

yeah you will need to completely bleed the rears after you fix the wheel cyl because your MC has run dry. bet you don't have much of a pedal right now, do you?

What happens if I use it for a while without fluid? lol

NO NO, fix. The issue in question are the BRAKES!

wheel cylinders are stupid easy. and yes you will need to bleed them, but to save fustration you can pick up a set of "speed bleeders" which have a check valve in them and make bleeding easy.

Please don't continue to drive with this issue, just fix it!

Okay okay lol. I know the something is brake fluid lol, hence why I checked when I had the issue with my brake cylinder. Will add to the fronts and get those rears done asap. N8N, nope not much at all, it still brakes but it's a lot closer to the floor than when it was proper. Thanks for the tip on speed bleeders =)

You have front brakes, and thats it! So you have about 70% of normal brakes, and the bias is all screwy, wouldnt drive that in the rain! Or at highway speeds.

^ what he said. No rear brakes is better than no front brakes, but neither condition is really safe for anything other than "WTF just happened? I better get home."

*checks location*

whew. Nowhere near me...

yeah, you need to fix that wheel cylinder and fully bleed the brakes immediately.

*checks location*

whew. Nowhere near me...

yeah, you need to fix that wheel cylinder and fully bleed the brakes immediately.

LOL, I just check the location TOO :D, LOL!!!!

When I first got my 99 the brake light was on at the used car bozo lot somewhere in no speake english. I wasn't to tech savvy back then so i bought into their bs. They told me because the third brake light wasn't working it was to alert me the bulb was bad. I checked the fluid it was low and taadaa brake light off.. Then I started pumping the brakes and the line going from the master cylinder to the rear drums was rusted and then it looks like someone tried pinching it. I wanted to go back to this place and beat the living crap out of everyone.

Some how though the brakes worked perfectly fine for the font and the pedal wouldn't shoot to the floor. The stealership sold me the ENTIRE pre molded line from the master to the rear drums for only 30$ best buy ever at a jeep dealership

They told me because the third brake light wasn't working it was to alert me the bulb was bad

:yelclap:

Good one, I need to remember that one, much better than bumper bearings or blinker fluid BS!! LOL

They told me because the third brake light wasn't working it was to alert me the bulb was bad.
wow that is some pretty high grade smoke they blew up your ass, at least :roflmao:

Just don't go smashing into the back of one of those old subarus in WA, those guys are nuts! I should know I'm one of them!:laugh2:

but seriously did ya fix it yet??

Well you picked the right place to learn how to do it yourself repair on your jeep!!! What you learn here will serve you well on working on most vehicles, not just jeeps. I have been doing my own work since 1973, wish I had found NAXJA in 1973 instead of 2006!

Welcome the land of Do it yourself Jeep know how!!!:D

FWIW, bleeding the rears on Jeeps is often a PITA, there is an equalizer valve after the Master Cylinder (MC) that can make it very difficult, and there is an art to brake bleeding, so search and read some old threads here on rear brake bleeding problems and possible solutions. Some years had antilock brakes which no one liked,....What year is yours? You may need to bleed the equalizer, then the drivers front, Passenger front, driver's rear, passenger rear in that order, and then do it all again!!!!

Last edited:
Back