• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lurch when putting into drive?

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 xj auto (4.0l 4x4) lurches annoyingly when you throw it in drive. Does everyone's car do this? Is it automatic transmissions that do this? I am used to a manual.

Other than the lurching it is fine (shifting, etc.). Fluid looks good, both level and color.

I am going to be towing a small trailerful of stuff (1000 lbs or so) and I am wondering if my tranny is about to blow. 127k miles if it makes a diff. Was never used for hauling before I got it.

mine has 86,000 on it and when shifted in D or R its in gear NOW. it doesnt wait a second for you to get ready :D
my explorer was slow to respond. it would take its time to get into gear been that way for the 100,000 i had it..
the xj trans seems like it just shifts snappier than people are used to i think.
even the 1-2 2-3 shift is quick compared to my explorer slug

I have 108k on my '98 XJ and it does the same thing. You might want to try putting anti-seize compound on the output shaft of the transfer case. The shaft splines tend to stick to the driveshaft yoke, causing a jolt when shifting into Drive.

darjevon said:
My 99 xj auto (4.0l 4x4) lurches annoyingly when you throw it in drive. Does everyone's car do this? Is it automatic transmissions that do this? I am used to a manual.

Other than the lurching it is fine (shifting, etc.). Fluid looks good, both level and color.

I am going to be towing a small trailerful of stuff (1000 lbs or so) and I am wondering if my tranny is about to blow. 127k miles if it makes a diff. Was never used for hauling before I got it.

Welcome to the club! http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=917517 I'm leaving my house now to drive home to where my tools are to change all the u-joints in my driveshafts and lube the slip yoke really good. I'll let you know how it goes.

Your problem is *EXACTLY* what mine does.

Back