• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil consumption question

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
My 95 with 175k has used around 2 quarts in 5k which dosent bother me. The last 1000 miles Ive added 2 quarts already. what are any of you seeing for oil use in the upper mileage range? It still runs great, and would trust it to go anywhere.

Are you burning it or dripping it? I have an '88 at 245,000 miles that doesn't use a quart between oil changes (5000 mile intervl on synthetic oil), but I replaced the rear main seal around 175,000 or so.

I worked on another '88 for someone last year (actually, I guess it was more like 2 years ago) that was fine around town, but when I set off across the country to deliver it from CT to MT I was blowing about a quart in 600 miles through the rear main seal. Combination of the seal being dried out, and the CCV system being plugged so at highway speed the crankcase was pressurizing and forcing the oil past the old seal.

I loose about 1/2-1 quart on my 98, no idea where it goes, no oil on engine, no spots in driveway. 250,--- mi. Oil changed at around 5K. I use Mobil-1 oil and either mobil-1 or K&N filters. It has done it since new... but it doe not do it till over 4,000mi and then it is suddenly down some...

Uses about a quart per hundred miles with ease...but no blue smoke and nothing from the top of the engine.....need to get under it I guess...just got it back from my wife's son......ragged it out....hopefuly I can still do something with it...Pat

Back