• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high-steer plans

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I bought the Teraflex high-steer knuckle for my front D44 (I do not want WJ knuckles--nothing wrong with that, but I am going a different place). I am trying to layout the steering links.

Right now the upper arm runs smack into the swaybar link hardware that I put in for OTK tie rod. So those links will have to be deleted and moved somewhere else. With those out of the way its really a question of where do I put the track bar so that I can match length and angle. With the drag link over the knuckle the axle side trackbar link will probably be in the way again (and very high). With the drag link under the knuckle, it looks like I can clear everything. If I move the TB forward and outboard a little to add extra length, I think I can clear almost everything, maybe a little busy at the bottom.

Drag Over

Drag_Over_1.png

Drag Under

Drag_Under_1.png

Looking for feedback, suggestions, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Last edited:
There are two things you can do, one you can actually raise the swaybar axle mount - with a product like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TTZVRY
I'm using something like that now. The issue is the upper arm on the knuckle hits the bolt for the swaybar link to the mount. Look at your second pic--the upper arm and the swaybar link hardware are on the same plane. Honestly though I am not worried about the swaybar position, I have a lot of choices there. I am really concerned about trackbar length and position.

How would the oil pan clearance be with draglink OTK? I'm paying attention to this because I'm anticipating going down a similar route soon-ish.
It would be much closer. The drag link is already underneath the oil pan and the orange line shows that it would be much closer to it. I'm pretty sure I will have to use the drag-under setup.

How would the oil pan clearance be with draglink OTK? I'm paying attention to this because I'm anticipating going down a similar route soon-ish.

Draglink to oil pan clearance is only a concern for those who ignore the need to properly dial in the suspension uptravel with proper length bumpstops. :rolleyes:

My Jeep has been airborne over a dozen times at the sand dunes and the draglink didn't contact the oil pan.

Last edited:
Draglink to oil pan clearance is only a concern for those who ignore the need to properly dial in the suspension uptravel with proper length bumpstops. :rolleyes:

My Jeep has been airborne over a dozen times at the sand dunes and the draglink didn't contact the oil pan.

No sense in restricting up-travel just to mount the steering higher though. I'd rather run the steering under and set the bump stops so the tires can stuff higher into the fenders to allow a lower COG.

Here's another reference point...
Lower trackbar mount in stock location, raised swaybar mount.

Quick measurement shows that the stock axle bolt hole for the trackbar is about 35" to the outside edge of the frame rail. I can't raise the stock axle hole vertically because the spring is in the way. And I can't put it over the axle because the UCA is in the way. But if I put it in front of the axle and inboard about 3" to clear the coil then I will only have to extend past the frame rail about 3" which is perfectly acceptable.

I think RuffStuff sells both of the brackets I need:

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/PAN-OFF.html

R1173-full.jpg

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/PAN-OUT.html

R1154-full.jpg

Also saw this frame mount on a local fab shop's page, kind of what I am thinking about

15181424_552796088253558_1501771894457192055_n.sized.jpg

Move the trackbar bracket forward one hole, cut the bottom half off, and weld one of those on, then weld the lower bracket in front of the axle

Back