• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring Problems.

jackieonasses

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have always learned to search, And found just about every peice of information off of here, buy searching. This however I can't find.Probably cause no one is as stupid as I am....

So I was caging out my jeep, and i was cutting the back part out And accidentally cut through a whole mess of wires running up in the driver side pillar. (one right next to the hatch) So we finished caging it, and we bought Led's to take care of the broken rear lights. Now, we go to test out the new lights, and anytime the signal, or brake light comes on, the Fuel Pump turns on!! It just gives as much as the light is, Like if i turn on my parking lights on, It will stay on. Weird. My dad is an electrician and he says somehow 12v is going to ground? That is hypothesis anyways, We have spent a total of 15 hours on this. We sorted through every wire, got rid of most that we knew what they were. What all goes back there? Power wipers, defrost, Anything have to be plugged in? I know I am stupid, but we soldered and capped every wire so nothing will short. The motor still runs great, so that makes it weirder.

What did we do?

Thanks tremendously! - you are my last hope!

I don't think that any of the fuel pump wiring runs through that pillar.

If I remember correctly it runs inside, on the driver's sider/along the base, and out through a grommet underneath the rear seat area.

This sort of problem is difficult for someone, who is not there, to diagnose.

Start tracing back from the fuel pump.

jackieonasses said:
So No one knows anything?
The question pretty much precludes me from responding, but it's never stopped me before.
It would seem that most, if not all of the reconnecting was a matter of re-attaching like colored wired. Yes? When you cut into the wires, did it give them a good yank? It may be possible that the tug may have partially separated a connection else where. Along the same train of thought you may have shaved the insulation off or a thing or two.
Not that I would know if it makes a difference, what year XJ? Do you have an overhead console? Has anyone jerry rigged trailer lights?

:dunno:

Double check that all the grounds are connected. Even the ones you think you don't need anymore, or have disconnected by way of a connector. Really important.

Back