• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pics of rear tire carriers?

kccherokees

NAXJA Forum User
I am building a wrap around bumper for my XJ this weekend, then in a few weeks building a tire carrier/ hilift holder. I need some pics or write ups of how you did your hinge/ latch. I have no idea if I want to mount it on the top of the bumper or along the side? If you could give me some ideas of what works for you. I am puttin in a hitch in the bumper so that is going to take up some room on the side. Thanks!

Chris

carrier.jpg

shoes4.jpg

Hard to see, I thought I had some closeups of the pin on my server.
But anyways its a huge bolt welded to the bumper.
the swing out thingy is sleeved with pipe the same ID as the bolt OD.
I had just the bolt and nut on there for a while but didnt like that it flexed.
So I welded another "L" looking piece with a hole in it to the bumper and the bolt came through the hole...nut on top and I can adjust the tension now.

As for where the tire is held on its a piece of a screw jack for staging.
it has a flat plate with a 1.5" threaded rod and a big handle screw thing.
If you want to see closeups of how I did it, ill post them up later tonite.

EDIT; also the latch is a piece of angle iron that has a hole drilled in it with a nut welded behind it. then the swing rests on the iron and has a thandle bolt the goes thru.

They are 4" and theyre common around truck part stores, its the same bulb thats in those rubber encased "tractor lites"
then use a 4" grommet from 4" led tails

they are 35w each and are diffused so they light up everything, perfect for the woods. plus they are on a switch so i can use them when working on stuff behind the jeep
I had 2 55w lights in the back window and these are much brighter and more even light

Back