• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 pattern help

Yeah take another .006-.008 out and go from there, it may be too shallow but then you'll see you need to go deeper. I suspect another .004 may be ideal, but its better to go too far and then go back so you see it both ways. Might as well set the backlash so its in spec when you're making larger adjustments. Remember the 70% rule... So if its .012 now, to bring backlash into spec you need to move about .008 of shims, if you move the pinion another .004 you'd need to move the carrier about .012. When making small adjustments it not that important to keep changing the carrier shims, but you want to keep in range when making larger adjustments.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Currently I have just the stock oil slinger at the pinion head. Am I adding to or removing from the pinion (thinner oil slinger)?

Is this still too deep. BL .008
1f5f3555fa1885e8b0c66530eec093a7.jpg
c836bb82163c65fadb50d916f17e9a26.jpg

Not sure where to go from here. Does the pinion need less? I would need to find a thinner oil slinger. Yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The factory used a variable thickness shim under the pinion head that was often around .060". Aftermarket generally replaces that with a .030 and shims are placed under the outer pinion bearing/baffle. Your gear install kit should have this. Yes you need to take more out.

I took everything and put it on the ring side but it still seems too deep.
bf33eeeca111797032cce889309607d6.jpg
71eadaf3b7a296d5861008b313d37ac2.jpg

I confirmed that the carrier break is correct. However I am using a carrier from a low pinion in a high pinion. I did not see any differences from carrier with that respective. I'm at a loss.

Thanks for replies.

Is this still too deep. BL .008
1f5f3555fa1885e8b0c66530eec093a7.jpg
c836bb82163c65fadb50d916f17e9a26.jpg

Not sure where to go from here. Does the pinion need less? I would need to find a thinner oil slinger. Yes?

Well you have been given guidance all along about Pinion Depth adjustment is what is needed. So, lay off the time wasting carrier adjments of BL, and reduce the pinion depth. And honestly at this point, if you dont know how to reduce that, it maybe time to call in someone that can and does diff setups to either do it for you, or take it to them?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not ruling it out taking it to someone, I realize that I'm not an expert, but I thought I would give it a shot and learn. I'll have to find some pinion shims as my kit only came with preload shims. I'll need to get a thinner oil slinger and shims.
Is it suggested I move the pinion out or in?

Buy a proper shim kit from your local Six States or someplace like Drivetrain America

Spicer 706938X $50.02

I have never seen a shim kit that does not include pinion shims. Remember, these go under the inner pinion bearing and the thick shim under the pinion head gets replaced with one that is nominally .030". The oil baffle that goes under the inner pinion bearing is nominally .020" but sometimes they are as thin as .016".

Last edited:
The issue ended up being the oil baffel was too thick - by changing it to a shim half it's thickness I got the above pattern to run. Tomorrow I'll go get a thinner oil slinger less the difference of the oil baffel/shim and that should be it.

I want to thank everyone who responded to help.

While you're doing that, remove about .002 if you can from the pinion depth. Still is a tad deep. If you were not taking it apart, it wouldnt be the end of the world. But, since you have to take it apart again, might as well get it better/best you can.

Looks like the pinion might be shimmed too much to me. I'm far from an expert but just my .02

Saying you wheel a JK is like ordering Chinese takeout and calling yourself a chef.

If you're still working on this, that pattern is definitely too deep. I'd take .005" out and see what it looks like, and I am an expert, haha.

The pattern md21722 posted looks excellent.

Back