• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing my XJ

4.88's are perfect if you do not live in a flat area.

This, it is going to depend greatly on where you drive or how you drive if you daily your XJ.
For 33's I would gear 4.56 with a 5 speed and 4.88 with and auto, but I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area and speeds greater than 60 on the freeways don't happen very much.

I just contacted a shop over in York PA. Mount Zion Offroad is the name of the shop. They quoted me at 2 grand. This includes all the parts labor etc. To me, this seems a little high. I know regearing is expensive but I was not expecting it to be that much. What do you guys pay for a regear?

I just contacted a shop over in York PA. Mount Zion Offroad is the name of the shop. They quoted me at 2 grand. This includes all the parts labor etc. To me, this seems a little high. I know regearing is expensive but I was not expecting it to be that much. What do you guys pay for a regear?

Buy your own parts if you want to save some money. Better yet, do that by supporting one of our vendors on here. Send them a message with what you are looking to do and you should get a pretty good deal. Labor per axle should be $400-500, but you can find it done cheaper if you shop around. I've had mine done for $250 each one time(recession) and $350 another time. If you plan on putting new inner axles seals in (which is always a good idea) that will bump up the price $50 or so.

One thing to keep in mind though, building a good relationship with a local offroad shop can lead to perks down the road if you need work done later (tire work, adjustments, diagnosing..etc)

This, it is going to depend greatly on where you drive or how you drive if you daily your XJ.
For 33's I would gear 4.56 with a 5 speed and 4.88 with and auto, but I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area and speeds greater than 60 on the freeways don't happen very much.

Back in the day I did a lot of gears for the NAXJA and PNWjeep guys. What I learned was this... (sorry couldnt find the up arrow emo.) Anyhow the 4.0 will spin all day at 2700 rpm with no problems and you never hear anyone complain they went to low. Oh, and one more thing... we all have "inchides", it's in our blood so lower gearing only helps with this condition.

Back