• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock chyco 8.25 weak points...

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone got any pics of what i could expect to do to this axle under high stress conditions? Ive heard a lot about the weak points of different axles, 8.8 has a weak carrier and potentially spinable axle tubes, dana35 has a weak R&P and housing as well as shafts and tubes, etc..

But then what would i expect to break on a 29 spline 8.25? I have a case shield so im not worrying about puncturing the cover, i heard its got a stout housing and gears, are axle shafts usually pretty strong? I know it has c-clips so thats gotta be a weak point...

I wanna say you can get a c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.25 axle, but I have no idea who makes it....?

the c-clip isnt a "weak point" really. its more of a less-desirable point if you intend to break axle shafts because the whole shaft will walk out of the housing. c-clips dont break.. the 8.25 is alot stronger than it gets credit for. housing and shaft strength are comparable enough to a D44 to call them equal for purpose of discussion (here come the flames. :fuse: ) a set of chromoly shafts will last forever unless you like the stupid-pedal, then you need something else. i have no problem running the 8.25 with 35s on stock shafts and 37s with chomoly.. but then you are pushing alot of limits. 8.25 is limited to 4.56 gears and lockers are more expensive. stock drum brakes are small and useless once you get into big tires but the ZJ rear disc conversion is easy and common enough that theres no reason not to do it. if deeper gears are important to you the 8.25 might not be fore you but i have alot of faith in them. hell even the 27-spline axles take a major beating before they break. dont dismiss them simply because they share a spline count with the D turdy-5.

Easily preventable with a welder though.

288522842405_0_BG.jpg

And there is no c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.25. Superior was working on one, but I guess it didn't rate very high on their priority list.

yea i have heard a lot that its stronger than it gets credit for. maybe because its not a true like half ton or better that no body really considers it, everyones all about 88s 44s and 60s. Im sure ill be busting a lot of front end stuff before i do anything to this axle anyway. I plan to run 4.10s in this axle on 35s ( i have a stick, dont flame me for this but on 32s and 3.07s i dont mind at all and these are still deeper than a stock gear-to-tire ratio). Lockers are limited ill say that, but i dont plan to lock it just get a track lock cheap ass LSD.

for less than the price of the LSD for the 8.25 you can have an 8.8 with LSD, 4.10, and disk brakes. Seems like a no brainer to me.

razdrvr said:
for less than the price of the LSD for the 8.25 you can have an 8.8 with LSD, 4.10, and disk brakes. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Why do people assume that everyone has an automotive shop in their garage with a full set of welding and fabbing equipment? :D
Not everyone can be a mechanic with access to a junk yard that happens to have everything we need for rock bottom prices!

$250 for something that works just as well as a ratcheting locker for most circumstances, works well on the street, and doesn't tend to break axle shafts seems like a decent deal to me

http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/servlet/the-16/NEW-CHRYSLER-8.25-TRAC/Detail

razdrvr said:

that is a good swap, however it is by no means a cheap, bolt-in deal.. issues to address include e-brake cable attatchment, removing and installing spring perches, new rear driveshaft, and welding the tubes.. some easy, some a pain in the a$$.. i've done a few of these swaps for customers and its pretty easy for me in my shop. the average person really cant do this in his driveway.

purchase price is NOT everything...

If you get deep into this sport you should have access to that sort of equipment, or a big checking account.

Luckley most military posts have a car craft center. So I have been lucky to beable to go to these places. There have been plenty of times where i was cutting on my jeep in the baracks parking lot using a power inverter or a really long extention cord and cought a lot of weard looks.

Back to the topic a 8.25 29 spline with some yukon shafts and a lockrite should do good off road.

Ramsey said:
If you get deep into this sport you should have access to that sort of equipment, or a big checking account.
Depends on if you rock crawl or do trails. Maybe if I win the lottery I'll take up rock crawling :D

Last edited:
razdrvr said:

A 4.10 geared 8.25" 29 spline axle costs me $75.00-150.00. Complete ZJ rear disc set-up cost me $50.00. I can get a used lunch box locker for $150.00. I would weld it personally. (BTW a 8 1/2" XJ axles has a 8 3/8" diameter ring gear)

A 4.10 geared 8.8" disc brake axle costs $350.00 It needs the axle tubes welded to the center section the spring perches properly located and the weak differential carrier replaced with a real locker. It also needs spacers to be the correct width.

I don't even have to get any other prices on the 8.8" axle to know it costs way more to build.

A rear LSD is worthless offroad. It will only spin one tire when you need it to work. Either lock it, spool it or weld it.

I'm going with a front HP D44 and a 9" rear axle, so what do I know....

TNT said:
A rear LSD is worthless offroad. It will only spin one tire when you need it to work. Either lock it, spool it or weld it.

that's what i was trying to say in your other thread, emr. (when i said "lock it, or don't, don't half-lock it). thanks for saying it more effectively, TNT.

razdrvr said:
Ive pondered that for a long time, but my rear end has all new axle seals, new wheel bearings and wheel cylinders, and rebuild brakes. Its had $500 of work put into it, and the 8.8 would most likely require brakes, some seals here and there and bearings, not to mention i cant weld. If i can find one with all that for under the price to regear my 8.25 then ill do it. But that involves getting the mounts too.

asp387 said:
that's what i was trying to say in your other thread, emr. (when i said "lock it, or don't, don't half-lock it). thanks for saying it more effectively, TNT.

Ive heard a lot of bad about that LSD, i just cant go with a locker on the street, this is a budget build, im also not a rock crawler. Im putting a nice cheap $230 aussie up front, if they make a $230 aussie for the rear then maybe ill get that, but im trying to keep the rear open, selectable, or LSD. LSD seems to be the choice b/c the trac loc is cheap. I would rebuild it, i just need somehting where if im stuck, and normally one tire (the wrong one) would be spinning, that the other tire would spin instead, if i can get that ill be happy. THIS IS NOT A ROCK CRAWLER, remember. but im still open to anything, so tell me if this will work for my application

aussie is coming out with the new 29 spline lunchbox... i forget its price offhand but i want to say 300, just something to consider.... a whole lot more performance for not too much more $... i have a no-slip and love it, but yes, it was a bit expensive.

somewhat of a side note, fwiw, i was on the trail today with xbobj who has a front lunchbox locker on about 5" lift and worn 33" tsl's. i'm set up on a BB, trimming, and 31" BFG muds with the no-slip in the rear. yes, his is invisible on the street, but i respectably prefer, for the type of wheeling that i do, to have my rear locked. ideally i'd have both locked. but $ doesn't grow on trees.

Okay, well lets put it this way, i know pretty well the kind of wheeling i do, an LSD may or may not suffice (yes it would be best to have dual 60s with detroits and 44" tires but mine is a daily driver and, like you said, money does NOT grow on trees). So why dont you all educate me in how an LSD functions, its limitations and such....

Back