• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle seal?

XJHOX

NAXJA Forum User
I have went through 3 rear axles seals in the last year, always the drivers side. Any ideas what could be going on? Its a D44 I have looked at the axle and there is no burs or anything sticking up, I also have greased the seal to help it slide on. Any ideas? Thanks Jason

XJHOX said:
I have went through 3 rear axles seals in the last year, always the drivers side. Any ideas what could be going on? Its a D44 I have looked at the axle and there is no burs or anything sticking up, I also have greased the seal to help it slide on. Any ideas? Thanks Jason

Bent axle shaft? I have no real clue, just thought I would throw it out there for ya. :kissyou:

Is it the seal going bad or is it leaking oil? My drivers side shaft had a very small nick in it, causing the oil to leak out even after replacing the seal. Took some time for it to happen though.
try a new shaft with all new seals.

Wade

usually the axle seal will start leaking even if it's new if your axle bearing is worn and the axle has any movment under a load. Also be sure it's not leaking around the outside of the seal, I usually install them with a little gasket sealer. Harder to get back out but worth it.

bluebeast said:
Oh yeah be really carefull not to drag the splines on the seal when you install it.
How you going to do that,its a D44??

I've replaced my share of XJ D44 seals and I think the axle diameter is on the low side for the seal. I installed speedi sleeves twice now with good results. You might want to try that. They are stainless steel sleeves made to slide over the shaft with a little goop under them. You use the same seal # as before. Napa and Carquest carry them for many applications. Jeff

If you have the two axles sides swapped you can end up pushing the bearing and seal out of position, causing failure. The short axle goes on the drivers side. They aren't much different, but just enough to cause problems. I had mine swapped and it cooked a bearing after about a year.

Back