• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer and Gas Gauge not working

dragula

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some assistance, like the title says my Speedo, Odometer and Gas Gauge are not functioning. (All other gauges in the cluster are working temp, voltage, oil pressure, tach)

What have I tried so far:

1) Tested instrument cluster to make sure gauges work with the self test.
2) Cleaned the contacts on the cluster and the connectors. Even tweaked the pins just a bit to make sure I was getting good contact.
3) Cleaned the ground behind the distributor / near the dipstick on the engine block.
4) Checked the fuse on the passenger side kick panel.

So far none of these things have made a difference. There were no symptoms leading up to the gauge problems.

Any additional thoughts? I think it would be an easier solution if they were all out but with just the two out I am left scratching my head and chasing electrical gremlins.

Thanks!

Thought I would update this just in case someone else goes on a wild goose chase and has the same symptoms I was having.

In addition to the Speedo, Odometer and Gas Gauge not functioning the Cherokee was throwing a code for P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor and P0505 Idle Air Control System. These symptoms all came at the same time and while strange... seemed to be linked. I'm not great at chasing electrical problems so I relied on searching google and other forums for someone with the exact same symptoms.

On another forum, someone was having the same symptoms a few years ago and discovered that they were all linked to the ECU/PCM and a particular ground/circuit within it. They were able to resolve their issues through a service that fixes the ECU/PCM. I found a service on eBay called "your_part_source" and sent it in for repair.

I received this back from their technicians

"Cannot test for gauges but unit failed for IAC control. Replaced control chip and unit passed our testing."

The unit arrived in the mail today, upon installation the jeep is back to normal with a functioning gauges and no check engine lights.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone in the future.

Keep on truckin'

Thank you for the follow up and details about what the repair folks found and did.

As our vehicles get older I suspect more and more of us will be looking at this sort of issue.

Looking for help with something similar, brand new to this forum. My XJ is a 1992 2DR 4.0 HO, 5 speed manual, speedo is not working. 1991-1996 are driven off orange/white VSS cable I believe, unlike 97-01 which are driven off of ECU - I think?

Initially it would drop to zero and jump back up, changed VSS and then the needle would dip 5mph and then return to actual speed. Last week speedo went out completely, and I have 53k original miles, so I'm looking to get it repaired/officially swapped, with a sticker.

Things I have tried:
-Hitting the dashboard
-Clean ground and power bolts on the back of the speedo
-Change VSS
-Put speedo in 2 other enclosures

Most places that will reply to me won't repair it because its "too old". Please, anyone with pointers by all means send them my way. Thank you so much in advance.

Back