• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ Won't run

Davidglitsch

NAXJA Forum User
My 1992 jeep cherokee limited won't run for more than a second, I've checked the cps and cam sensor while handcranking the motor to check that they are good, they are (should be). I'm getting really good fuel pressure. It'll start, rev to about 2k rpms, and then shutoff. Anyone able to point me in a direction?

How did you test for fuel pressure? A little squirt isn't enough.

Have you done any work or had any repairs done recently?

Do you have good fuel pressure after starting? Does your 92 have the fuel pump ballast resistor on the drivers fender?
They do have a fuel pump ballast...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

They do have a fuel pump ballast...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I try bypassing it with a wire and see if it stays started. If you have a meter, you can measure the voltage on either side of it to see if it's getting power from the relay or broken internally. Could be crudded up connections to.

Whether the ballast resistor ends up being the problem or not, I'd just eliminate it once you have the truck running - it's not actually needed. All it was there for was to slightly lower the voltage supplied to the fuel pump so the pump would run quieter.

Back