• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling/Heating issues.

Bowman

NAXJA Forum User
I have done a search for my problem and to no avail.........
so here goes.... I replaced the water pump, 4cyl gas no A/C, with the one from the local parts store. Things were good for a total of 65 miles........
the brand new water pump blew out all over the place as I was pulling in to the parking lot at home. it turns out that the "guy" at the parts store had ordered in the wrong water pump, it was a reverse flow...................
OK, so now I spend another day tracking down and installing the new pump and that is when my troubles started. I have tested the thermostat and it works fine, and the new pump is circulating the fluid with no problems. I have no heat and my temp guage almost hits the RED....... I am thinking that when the reverse flow pump was running, that it may have some how damaged the heater valve in the system. does any one have any thoughts or other suggestions? any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know why a reverse flow pump would damage the heater valve but It is easy to replace the valve with a short length of copper or brass pipe on a temporary, or permanent basis for that matter, to see if that is your problem. The metal valves on the early XJs tend to corrode and seize up -- easy enough to check to see if the control arm moves freely if you haven't already done so.

I take it that you don't have a serpentine drive belt because as I understand it, these always take a reverse flow pump. Were you having overheating problems before replacing the pump?

thank you for your responce.
I was having no issues with my cooling system other than the water pump was on its way out. No over heating issues at all, just that the bearing on the water pump was very worn and making a racket like you wouldn't belive. I had ordered the new water pump 3 days before it went on me. I guess I've been lucky with my Jeep, as I have not had too many problems with it since I have owned it.

Sounds like you have air in the system that needs to be burped out. Be sure when you are filling the coolant that the heat is turned on.

Back