• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Need Everyones Help Please (Big Decision)

rockcrawler873

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone im not sure as to which forum this belongs in but.... What should i do i need help I cant decide wether to but a jeep cherokee a truck or a tahoe im not sure what i want to do??? i want good gas mileage on the vehicle i chose it will be my DD (daily driver) and i wanna be able to go muddin in it whenever i want i will be going 6" on either of the 3 i pick w/ 35s. I also want enough room for other people to ride so if i got a truck it would be an extended cab. On last thing is that I LOVE the way an XJ looks when if flexes but i also love how BIG a truck or tahoe looks lifted if anyone has any advise of what would be bettter or you personal decision on what you wouild do if you could give that THANX A LOT GUYS
---Chris

Well...

You won't get "good" gas mileage with either the Tahoe or the truck.

Most late model trucks, and all Tahoe's are IFS...you will pay through the nose for a lift.

I had a '95 Chevy ext. cab, and it sucked as a people hauler. Just a real PITA to get your passengers in and out, and they don't really appreciate it either.

I have a 98 XJ, and am looking at buying another. I have two young children, and have plenty of room for the family and all our stuff. I had pick-ups for so long that it felt a little weird not having one. Solved that problem by buying a hitch and a 5'x8' utility trailer.

So there you go. I say XJ.

But what would you expect coming to NAXJA to ask that question? :D

Dude,
Your goals don't match.
You EITHER want good gas mileage OR you want 35's.

While there ARE people who do it, I personally don't think 35's are very practical for normal everyday economical operation, especially if like me you put well over 30k a year on your ride, unless you maybe plan to have two sets of tires. The fact that you are even asking about a pig like the Tahoe in here makes me question if you might just be baiting us. I bet there aren't many places a Tahoe on 35's can go that an XJ can't go on 33's or maybe even 31's. If I was you I would consider starting out shorter and doing gears and a locker or two. Leave the Chevy junk to the posers who wax their shocks every week.

Geez.

ok so heres how it works....i beleive some people call it a coin toss...so because we have three vehicle choices..we have to decide what to flip for..so since the tahoe and the truck are similar in size and the xj is a mid size. we will flip initially between full size rigs ( as in big gas eating pimped out waxed chevy shit, sorry i am biased) and the extremely versatile jeep xj (our vehicle of choice on this particular forum)

ok, "heads" midsize xj, "tails" fullsize chevy...

(i got "heads" what did you get?)

if by some miracle of modern bullshit or something you flipped and got "tails"..then now, you get to flip again between the pick up and the tahoe...to easy...very simple and call it destiny..that made yer decision...

or for super simplicities sake..most of us here say go xj..take our advice and make an investment in the jeep ( just empty every pocket) fund..

you'll thank us later...

HTH

Maier

mavrick said:
Its an xj forum what kind of response do you expect? Even though the logic behind the responses are aound.
Aounds like we have a qinner!

get a tahoe if you really dont care about milage at all, and room and towing are the greatest priority.

If you want a wheeler that can do double duty as your daily driver, still carry 5 peeps in a pinch and does everything better than the chebby with the exception of towing choose XJ. Chebby tahoe also only seats 5 also albeight slightly more room, but what do you care, your in the comfy drivers seat. You dont gain another seat on the tahoe. To me the choice is obvious. Hope you make the wise choice.

I even like tahoes they are great road trucks, great modern-day station wagon, evengood cop cars, they can't touch a XJ though. If i could have 5 cars or trucks a tahoe (well i would get a suburban and use it just on road) would be one of them. If i could have just one vehicle a tahoe would NOT be it.

I have both a Suburban and an XJ. Both are on 33's. In reality there is not that much difference in gas milage between the two. 18 tops with the jeep and 16 tops with the Sub (TB, not even TPI). But these two vehicles are not even close to the same catagory. The Sub I would never consider taking off road, the Jeep lives off road and never sees street miles. I could not live without either, I need the room with the Sub and towing capability. And I could not fit on the trails around here without the jeep.

For a all around rig as a DD with a moderate lift a Xj is VERY VERY difficult to beat. The trailer (as previously mentioned) is a very good replacement for the PU. Cost of ownership of the 3 is no challenge, the XJ will take it in a second.

Food for thought,
Michael

i agree with everyone else. if you merely want something for towing, the tahoe would be a better choice, but if you want a better all around rig, i'd definitely go with an xj. believe me, the tahoe will EAT YOU in gas money. they xj you can get parts easier, easier to lift, ect. . .just like everyone else says....and you can completely roll down the back windows.

Hey guys all i have to say is thank you and WOW yall have really helped me w/ my decision and i believe im goin to go w/ the xj!!
And to answer the question "what kinda of answers did u think you would get puttin this forum on an XJ site" well i know you guys know what yall r talkin about and... Some people have owned a truck or tahoe and might have liked it better than therexj they have now or did. Thanx again guys!!

go to a dealership - ask the guys there

they are paid to know what is the best 4x4 out there...

Back