• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Degrease engine

Cherokee91Red

NAXJA Forum User
I was goin to take my jeep to the back and start cleaning out the engine and block. Am going to use Gunk degreaser. Is it ok to take off the valve cover and clean the inside with it. Also, is there anything I should avoid spraying?

Cherokee91Red said:
I was goin to take my jeep to the back and start cleaning out the engine and block. Am going to use Gunk degreaser. Is it ok to take off the valve cover and clean the inside with it. Also, is there anything I should avoid spraying?

Drop your oil pan first, remove, tag and bag all the electronics and plastic parts then I guess Just Have At It.... Then park it for a week in the sun and let her dry out some.

Cherokee91Red said:

You will find that Throttle Body or Brake Cleaner will do a better job of cleaning the Valve Cover. Try to keep your Alternator dry...

Cherokee91Red said:
:huh: if i under stand this question right. your going to cleen inside the valve cover , and oil pan. with gunk degreaser? NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!! now if you ment just cleen the engine compartment then your ok

Cherokee91Red said:
Why is that a bad idea?

engine degreaser wont evaporate, i believe. But carb cleaner will. You do want ANY degreaser to get in your engine since it's primary job is to break oil down...

Second that. The degreaser is meant for the outside and to be rinsed off. I wouldn't want any degreaser or water in the oil left over. There are products you can add to the oil and run for a bit that have extra detergent. You use them just before an oil change. Running degreaser and water through the engine is just asking for a bearing to seize or for sludge to clog up an oil passage.

I cleaned my cover with Gunk spray, bathed it in warm water with dishwashing detergent, let it dry, then wiped the inside with alcohol. Its all chemistry boys. Gunk breaks down oils, dishwashing detergent coagulates it, alcohol is a solvent cleaner which evaporates with no residue.

If you are going to use a cleaner, I would recommend Castrol Super-Clean. It will do a better job of cutting the gunk.

old_man said:
If you are going to use a cleaner, I would recommend Castrol Super-Clean. It will do a better job of cutting the gunk.

I found something even better. Greased Lightning, and I got it from Lowe's. Castrol super clean is really good, just don't inhale any fumes. GOOD GOD!!
It's some nasty stuff even if it is bio-degradeable. :skull2:

Back