• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High pitched squeal/whistle under load.

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
Now before anyone tells me. I have already changed the serpentine belt and checked all pulleys, a/c compressor is new. I have played with adjusting the belt but i'm certain the issue isnt related to that.

Now thats out of the way...

It sounds a small dog making that annoying squealing noise like he is so excited that you come home and are about to feed him, but he's also too stupid to bark. This happens under a light-medium load from 2000 to 3000 rpm's. never anywhere else, never under a heavy load or cruising with no load.

I have been told it could be a leaking throttle body gasket or iac. I have changed the throttle body, gasket, as well as the iac and the noise never got better or worse. tps and map sensor have also been swapped out as they were attatched to the known good throttle body. Checked the intake manifold torque and everything checks out.

stock air intake and newish filter are on it. noise remains when the intake is off.

I've run out of ideas here, and this noise is driving me INSANE. Help plz

i have a similar condition, except mine is off and on, but it'll whine untill the engine warms up (about 8-10 minutes). it gets louder at a stop light.

good luck in you're search, i share you're pain.

i have a similar condition, except mine is off and on, but it'll whine untill the engine warms up (about 8-10 minutes). it gets louder at a stop light.

good luck in you're search, i share you're pain.

mine began 10,000 miles ago. went on for about a week (3500 miles driven in that week) went away for about 4000 miles, and has been back for the last 1000 or so.

im about to just take the intake manifold off for the hell of it and hope the noise goes away.

it sucks because i can only hear it when driving as well, cant get the right load and rpm when its sitting. and im under the hood checkin it out.

Don't forget the exhaust, and grab a friend to help diagnose. Two empty skulls are better than one.

LOL!

Try putting the rear axle up on jack stands. Have the second empty skull raise the RPMs, and keep them up while applying the service brakes while you listen under the hood. Just might give you enough load to find it.

Good luck.

Get a piece of vinyl tubing (thank you joe) about three inches long and no more than 1/2 inch wide. Put one end in your ear and use the other to listen around. Hope that helps.

WARNING - You may love your jeep to death, but it will not be so loving in return. It will not think twice about shredding your shirt sleeves, the arms in them, or your pony tail (should you have one). Be mindful of moving parts :gee:

Last edited:
Mine does the same thing when it first starts up, whistles a bit going down the road in between 2-3 grand. After a little while it will stop. Haven't tried diagnosing it yet but ill keep my eyes peeled on dis thread.

Get a piece of vinyl tubing (thank you joe) about three inches long and no more than 1/2 inch wide. Put one end in your ear and use the other to listen around. Hope that helps.

WARNING - You may love your jeep to death, but it will not be so loving in return. It will not think twice about shredding your shirt sleeves, the arms in them, or your pony tail (should you have one). Be mindful of moving parts :gee:

At three FEET long, not so hazardous to your mullet. :)

KTM - any chance it's the infamous barking sparrows caused by a worn ball centering joint in the front drive shaft? Pull the front shaft to rule that out.

KTM - any chance it's the infamous barking sparrows caused by a worn ball centering joint in the front drive shaft? Pull the front shaft to rule that out.

i have lockout hubs. my front shaft or axle internals don't move.

Oh my.. what was I thinking. Three inches of any thing is never good. Haha that pretty much defeated the whole purpose of the safety disclaimer... ugh... I need a weekend.. :twak:

Oh my.. what was I thinking. Three inches of any thing is never good. Haha that pretty much defeated the whole purpose of the safety disclaimer... ugh... I need a weekend.. :twak:

I'll drink to that! :cheers:

:gee:

I think I'd go with 3 FEET. Three inches is pretty short (just ask my wife!!)

Damn, beat me again!!

well im leanin towards intake manifold gasket

gonna be swappin my exhaust manifold soon and hopefully that will take care of it

when i did the motor swap i could only find the cheesy cardboard gasket and not the metal factory one on short notice so im thinkin thats the culprit

well im leanin towards intake manifold gasket

gonna be swappin my exhaust manifold soon and hopefully that will take care of it

when i did the motor swap i could only find the cheesy cardboard gasket and not the metal factory one on short notice so im thinkin thats the culprit

Yeah, its a bear to catch something like that when it only presents under load.

Good luck.

yea it was the intake manifold gasket.

didn't have any issues holding vacuum, and i couldnt find any leaks using the propane test. but i guess there was a small enough leak to make it whistle like a banshee.

If anyone else has this issue or finds this through searching. it's about a 1.5-2 hour job and costs 13 bucks.

Glad you got it fixed.

Now you should go and play!

I've been dealing with this same issue since I installed my APN header. Well, truthfully I didnt get the whistle until two weeks later when I had the exhaust guys cut off the restrictive downpipe and weld on a new Magnaflow muffler. I got the whistle in the parking lot after the muffler install and we pinpointed it to the lower side of the intake manifold.

I've torqued, loosened, retorqued, and torqued the manifold bolts again and I still have the intake whistle under load. Sounds great, otherwise. I used the crappy gasket that came with the APN. Coated it with the copper spray, but I suspect that I need a better gasket to improve the seal between block and intake manifold. I did buy a felpro but found that it did not match up well with the APN header, so I went with the paper gasket.

Thanks for the good thread. I will need to find a better gasket for my APN header.

Update: Got a replacement gasket for my APN header. Went to install it and found a broken (but not unusable) intake manifold. Replaced OE manifold and APN gasket last night. Still whistles. Maybe even worse now because I did not want to overtighten the bolts and risk breaking the new manifold.

I can either try a better gasket that works with the APN header, or....

Back