• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 with cali emissions -- Wiring harness rebuild

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
There has been a few threads about this lately -- It's time for me to rebuild mine -- have some questions

I'd like to replace all of my fuel injector connectors -- the previous owner had cut out all the red lockout tabs -- made the connectors very loose, easily removed -- they just don't feel secure and they definitely don't snap into place

Rock auto sells replacements:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...trical-connector,fuel+injector+connector,2577

My question is what brand is better? -- Standard Motor products or the Airtex/Wells -- I only want to do this once and the price difference is minimal

How about wire gauge? -- I'll end up ordering some of that Automotive cross link wire from Waytek -- the stuff for hot , under hood environments -- What size should I get?

https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1454/Automotive-Cross-Link-Wire/

I'm thinking I'm just going to replace all the wires on the injector, engine and O2 sensor part of the harness -- all the way back to the connector at the PCM

Solder and dual wall shrink wrap everything -- Any thoughts?

I'm can't look under the hood at the moment but I think the new style connectors weather pack could be taken apart and re-pinned with a new connector. Let me know if I'm wrong.

It's not easy or fun, but it's can be done. Might want to see my thread, I wanted to do a complete harness but could not locate some of the terminals/connectors! I was able to get all the colors/pin-outs/wire sizes thru multiple sources. This is a good site for pics/info..... http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

My thread..... https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1145993

I have seen your thread -- what gauge wire did you use? I would like to order wire before I actually cut anything.

I didn't end up using any wire as I "grafted" 2 harnesses to come up with one good one. The factory wiring is mostly 18-20 ga with some 14ga wiring. I purchased 6 ECU connectors in the thought of making a completely new harness.
356186d1501325879-classic-stalling-issues-pcm_connector.jpg

I'm can't look under the hood at the moment but I think the new style connectors weather pack could be taken apart and re-pinned with a new connector. Let me know if I'm wrong.

I never found a "Weather-pak" being used anywhere on mine! I had a very difficult time locating all the different pins/terminals/connectors.

BTW.... the O2 sensor signal wiring is "twisted pair".

Is twisted important or just convenient?

Twisted pair is used on communication circuits to reduce interference from nearby power circuits and other inductive items, it's there for a reason!

Twisted pair is used on communication circuits to reduce interference from nearby power circuits and other inductive items, it's there for a reason!

Ok -- I thought it was something special -- thats why I asked

Funny thing is I was looking at it this evening, certainly not twisted wire between the connector and the O2 sensors

Is there anything special about the wire other than it being twisted? I could and have twisted wire before, A vice and a drill -- go slow and don't over twist it

Is there a problem doing this, if in fact, I do have twisted pairs of wire for the O2 sensors

My O2 sensors are the main reason I want to re-wire that section -- something is not right in there - intermittent signals on the scanner from them -- terrible gas milage and I get P0432 every 100 miles -- I've got new pre-cats on and I'm not changing them again -- those suckers are expensive

From what you said, RCP phx, every wiring harness you looked at had some sort of damage in the area of 5 and 6 cylinders -- stands to reason mine does too

On another note, I rewired my ground lines from the battery to engine block and battery to body tonight -- Took out the old and used 1/0 welding cable with the military battery terminal

Maybe it was me thinking I actually made a difference but I swear my headlights are brighter

I'll do the positive tomorrow -- from battery to PDC and from battery to starter -- also install a 175 amp MRBF fuse and holder on the military battery terminal

Not sure what to do about the alternator -- I upgraded to 160 amp awhile ago, never upgraded the wire -- wondering how to protect from overload if I replace the wire and remove the fusible link -- Thoughts??

That's the right connector but is not a weather-pack!

I don't know what the point of that was either. I don't know any type connector that can't be dis-assembled. Here's the Air-Tex adapter I just bought for my coil rail conversion.
P1080554_zps3pttvsmr.jpg

Back