• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO- US Basin & Browns Gulch

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
US Basin & Browns Gulch is a nice six mile loop trail that takes off from US 550 near Red Mountain Pass and returns to the highway closer to Silverton. This loop makes for a nice short alternate route instead of taking the highway the whole way from Silverton to Ouray. Charles Wells includes this trail in his book as part of the Red Mountain Mining District trail. However, this trail can be run separately from the rest of the Red Mountain Mining District and is quite a bit different from the other area, so I am considering this one as a separate trail here.

The trail starts off near Red Mountain Pass and heads up to US Basin where you get some great views into the basin. In the spring, this basin is full of wildflowers. Once you pass US Basin the trail quickly climbs up high above 12,000 feet and offers great views down onto US 550 and the historic Chattanooga area. The trail finishes off by switchbacking down into Browns Gulch where you will pass through the Brooklyn Mine area.

This trail is pretty easy and any stock 4×4 should have no problems with it. The first time I tried to run this trail at the beginning of July, it was blocked by some snow drifts.

US_Basin_Browns_Gulch.jpg

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

Attachments

• US_Basin_Browns_Gulch.gpx
    28 KB · Views: 4
Back