• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid car insurance company (rant)

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
So, I got a letter from my car insurance last month stating that they can not find an MVR(motor vehicle report) for my ole lady. I call and we get it cleared up, turned out to have been a typing error on their end, a " / " was in her name but not on any of the actual records.

Yesterday I get another letter stating they again can not find her MVR. I turn the page and they now show her driving history and it has a "careless driving" flag on it and a massive premium increase! She's never been pulled over or ticketed ever.

I call up and we discuss the issue, they claim that it is coming from the company that supplies their MVR and it shows the careless driving on march 24th. The guy notices that is the day before I last called them with the other issue. He can't give me an answer as to why it would show up now and not then. They would have clearly found it then when they corrected the typing error and ran the report. He also can't explain why the letter states they can not find her MVR then the next page shows a driving history.

I hang up with him and we spend 40 minutes on hold with the local DMV, they pull the record up and it is clean, no discrepancy at all. However, she can't mail me a copy of the MVR, she tells me I can go on the DMV website and print out my own copy for a fee.

I call the insurance back and explain that I just got off the phone with the DMV and they said the record is clear and I can print my own report. The insurance says they still show the careless driving and the printed copy of the MVR will not be acceptable. I have to instead get a copy printed At the DMV for it to be accepted. We all know how the DMV is, a 2 hour wait and who knows how much to print the report.

Now, I am upset. I call and explain to the insurance co. that none of this is my fault or the DMV's fault. It clearly is an issue with progressive(or who provides them the MVR) and why is it my responsibility to fix their mistake. The people were very nice and apologetic but say they can not offer me any type of discount or compensation for my issue. They said that the insurance is very regulated and they can not offer a discount for a customer service reason in any situation.

Just wanted to vent a bit. I've had this insurance company a long time, it is the only insurance company I've ever had even with no other issues at all in the past.

Beyond my venting, I am wondering should I pursue compensation or just give up, are their hands really tied? I am planning to write a letter(not an email) after I provide all the documents and things are cleared up but I am not expecting much.

The silver lining is the ole lady sees how much even 1 ticket will cost us in insurance....

not giving a discount to your premium is bullshit, as is blaming it on tight regulations.

personally, F them, switch your insurance carrier, punish them by taking your business elsewhere.

and make sure you get a local insurance agent, so that when there's a problem you can talk to someone face to face that actually might give a crap about you and your family. The people on the phone care nothing.

I don't want to give the name as the issue isn't resolved yet.

I've also got quotes from other places local and no one can match their coverage/cost. I have 4 vehicles and many years issue free with them so I pay a great price compared to people I know at least.

When I call them they've always gotten things taken care of. I hate to go all scorch the earth over this but it is annoying and I will continue to voice that to them and threaten to leave ha. I am just curious now on the validity of the excuse I was given. I will bring that up in my letter to them, if it is an out right lie.

When i was with Progressive, they somehow came up with an accident on my wife's record that was grossly exaggerated. She used to drive a school bus, and in a very tight turn around, she clipped the gate and scratched the bus. Progressive showed it as an at fault accident with injuries and tried to jack our rates. It took a few calls to get it straightened out and then they did it all over again when we renewed. I left shortly after that. I had had good luck for years as well, but that just struck me as idiocy.

My insurance story is even better. I had Liberty General or Liberty Mutual or something like that about 8-9 years ago. I got a letter in the mail two months after I got my policy with them that said " We are going bankrupt and at the end of the month we will no longer be taking claims, please find a new insurance company" They took all my money and screwed me out of a couple months insurance. And they are now back in business and I have to watch thier crappy commercials all the time.

I had a similar issue with Progressive recently and I got a letter in the mail saying my premium was increasing by almost $100 a month. After being on the phone with them for 30 minutes with no explanation, I noticed on the letter that my address had the wrong zip code. It was a zip for Chicago. They changed it back and all was fine, but they couldn't tell me why it had changed. The Progressive rep said the only reason for the change is if I had changed it. I had not.

geico....3 cars 2 drivers 750 a year :farmer:

and my wife had three accidents on her record when we signed up with them

geico....3 cars 2 drivers 750 a year :farmer:

and my wife had three accidents on her record when we signed up with them

Must be crappy insurance or something?? With 3 cars and 3 accidents that is way cheap!

I pay 200 month for 3 cars 2 drivers no accidents or tickets! (plus I have 2 homes insured with them)

full coverage on 2 of them, just got to know how to talk them down, and I have a spotless record for 14 years which doesn't hurt

In fact, I have a $100 for comprehensive on the MJ. It used to be zero but I changed it to lower my monthly payment.

state farm didnt offer us that except on glass and tow.

They had done away with 0 deductible for a while, but now they offer it again.

I bascially only insure the MJ for the summer, when we go wheeling. so sometimes the policy changes because I'm starting and stoppping. THat changed last year I think back to offering 0 deductibles.

I have USAA and they are most excellent.

X999999999 I have had them for over 10 years now. Never had a problem with them. I have all my banking, auto, and renters policies through them. Only paying $90 a month on my 2 Cherokees with Full insurance coverage not just liability

oh and that includes my renters insurance too.

Back