• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Water Pump?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Threw the serp belt on the way to work this AM. Fun stuff.

Got me thinking while I was limping home though. If I had an electric water pump maybe I could drive it a bit farther instead of having to drive a few hundred yards and then pull over to cool off just before the gauge gets into the red.

Took a quick look around, there doesn't seem to be any such beastie for the 4.0. Checked the normal places, Hesco, Qtec, etc. I think there is like 20 to 30 options for the SBC. LOL

Not that I'd consider swapping this even if it existed but I though it was kinda strange that such a thing didn't exist considering how long these engines have been around.

Has anyone seen such a thing?

Very little advantage for one on lower RPM engines. Can also be very useful for fast cool downs. If that maters to you. Mostly just good for bragging rights on street engines.

No electric water pump available for the 4.0 and probably not worth it either. If an EWP fails while you're driving, you'll be calling a tow truck to get you home. If a mechanical pump starts failing, it usually gives you some warning when it starts to leak so as long as you're carrying some coolant in the Jeep, you can still limp home.

I like the electric pump. Consistent flow regardless of rpm, less drag/more power, and if the motor fails it's an easy swap to a new motor without having to pry the pump from the block. Meziere says it's a five minute swap.
Course it's pointless as they don't make one for the 4.0...

and if the motor fails new motor without having to pry the pump from the block.
=====================================
That's true'
If you have a one on hand. Else it's seting. Waiting for Fedex to come.
This is a problem with many third party equipment. Too if the company close you can have a big mess on your hands converting back to stock.
Any parts store will most likely have a stock pump (no motor to go bad) on hand or next day with no shipping charges. A big plus if you travel much, as I do.

I could see carrying an extra electric motor in the boonie box as a "cold spare".

I'm not interested in the performance aspect, just the "limpability" if you get my meaning.

I've thought about doing this - but with another impeller-type pump or a diaphragm pump, so you can run "one or the other" without any trouble (if you go with a positive displacement pump - like a gerotor - you can't do that. But, we just want to move liquid, not build pressure.)

That would allow me to still have a pump to run coolant should I throw a belt, or to run a pump to allow the engine to cool down after a hot shutdown by circulating coolant through the radiator without needing the engine to run (throw in an override ON switch for the E-fan, and you could cool things off fairly quickly.)

I'd probably have to do it as an industrial part tho - I don't think the automotive outfits have anything like that with hose barb nipples.

The easiest way to convert the OEM pump to electric would probably be with an electric drive and mounting an electric motor somewhere, but that provides its own headache...

Back