• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whining, but not whining sound?

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed this sound coming from my jeep, Whenever I am driving along, everything feels/sounds fine, but as soon as I hit the brakes from lets say 45 mph, I hear this roaring sound coming from what sounds like the front. It doesn't sound like gear whine and I don't think its from my tires (33x12.50 BFG AT's). I know that my girls XJ had a bearing go in her rear end and it sounds nothing like that. The sound only happens when I am slowing down or remove my foot from the gas like when I am taking an exit ramp off the highway....its not very loud but I can hear it and it annoys me....

Any idea?

You are running in 2wd, correct?

Is it an 88? Does it have vacuum disco?

Any noise during cornering?

Foot on the brake every time you hear noise?

its in 2wd yes.
Its a 97
If I am taking the corners from slowing down and still going kind of fast, yes the noise is present
foot is not always on the brake everytime I hear it. It can be just from letting my foot off the gas and slowing down is when I hear it.

I am thinking possibly ball joints?

Is it doing it all the time and you just can't hear it over the engine or is it obviously starting when you let off the gas?

I wouldn't think ball joints would 'whine'.

I shouldn't have said whining...its more of a low end roar with a very slightest grind....I really don't know how to explain it.

I can't hear it when my foot is on the gas, even going at a steady speed. But when I hit the brakes to slow down, even if my foot isnt on the brakes, I can hear the roaring. Now I don't know if i said this already (I am posting this is several diff forums) The front driveshaft IS NOT connected at the moment.

I'd check your hubs... I just replaced a hub that only made noise on de-acceleration when it started to go bad (Or at least that's the only time I heard it). Eventually it made noise all the time, then I replaced it.

If you think about it makes sense, when your slowing down and cornering this is when the most stresses are applied to the hub (during normal driving conditions) so when one is failing it would most likely make noise under these conditions first.

I'd check your hubs... I just replaced a hub that only made noise on de-acceleration when it started to go bad (Or at least that's the only time I heard it). Eventually it made noise all the time, then I replaced it.

If you think about it makes sense, when your slowing down and cornering this is when the most stresses are applied to the hub (during normal driving conditions) so when one is failing it would most likely make noise under these conditions first.

So it would also makes sense to replace teh ball joints as well then?

I am thinking along these lines...I have heard a pinion bearing go bad before and it doesn't sound like what I am experiencing. I know that some teeth could be chipped on the R&P, but I don't think this is the case either.

I wouldn't just start replacing stuff for the sake of replacing things, that could get expensive fast and very irritating if it doesn't solve the problem.

I've never heard a ball joint groan/whine... it's usually more of a clunk sound

I can't tell what side the noise is coming from. I've tried, but since it doesn't do it at very low speeds, I can't have someone listen for it. Unless I were to put it up on jackstand and then crank it up and listen for it.

sounds to me like pinion bearing noise. with the change in acceleration(or lack thereof when slowing down) the load on the pinion bearing changes, allowing it to slightly move, causing the whining noise you are describing. generally the rear pinion is the culprit, and since you said you have the front disco'd, i would check the rear. hope this helps. jack up the rear end and put it in drive and get it up to the speed youre having problems at to check the pinion bearing

Last edited:
Back