• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back with XJ #2 - Planetcat's "Roach" build!

Planetcat

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, in a moment of weakness in 2010, I sold my most awesome 96 XJ and bought a WJ. I like the WJ, but off road, it doesn't come close to the old Cherokee with the RE 4.5" superflex kit I had on it. So, my hunting buddy and I found the biggest POS roach of an XJ we bought for $700. It has 185K miles on it with the 4.0L, but runs smooth as butter and has NP242 t-case. It looks like hell, but runs great. This one will strictly be an off road hunting rig.

Luckily I had some parts from the 96 that I never used and I just ordered the following:
- Iron Rock 2" spring spacers
- Teraflex 2" extended shackles (from the '96)
- Olympic front rock bumper w/receiver (for my portable Warn XD9000)
- Some sweet Dunlop Mud Rovers in 30x9.5R15
- Cabela's camo seat covers from the 96 that I never used
- New OE electric fan and radiator overflow bottle (current ones doesn't work/leaking)
- Reese towbar

Model year is 1990. It's got an AW4 trans and D35 rear. It's a "Limited" model with factory tow, so I'm assuming that the diffs have 3.73 gears. All fluids are spotless, 4WD works great, and engine purrs with a small exhaust leak. Runs nice and cool at 195*. Most of the non-stainless parts in the engine compartment are rusty, but undercarriage, springs, control arms and suspension are all rust free. Here's some pics of it as is. I'll update as we install the upgrades and pursue game. Any advice on what might go out first on it would be appreciated. Don't want to get stuck in the back country.

2011-01-09_15-08-50_101.jpg

2011-01-09_15-09-07_613.jpg

2011-01-09_15-08-58_983.jpg

doubt it has 3.73's. my 90 has the factory tow option and 3.55's. engine compartment looks nice and clean though. miles are pretty low too

I would suggest:
Dual diaphragm booster from a 96+
Upgrade to the late model type radiator setup (can't remember which one is open or closed)
SYE and better than stock driveshaft
4-6" lift
33's and 4:56's
Nice bumpers/winch
dual battery setup

I'd do what jeeperjohn said, but add:
* upgrade the grounds and battery cables
* upgrade to a 29 spline 8.25 (bolt in, with 3-4+" of lift you can even use your original driveshaft as long as you bumpstop correctly, and it's cheap, figure 100-200 bucks for everything you need to swap)

Not sure I'd go with 33s for a hunting rig, as long as you make sure the winch works and maybe toss a lunchbox locker in the front axle.

Back