• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0331 head vs 0630.

Brian82

NAXJA Forum User
Rebuilding my 98 4.0. I sent the 0630 head out to get redone and they found 5 cracks... Cracks kills.. I have a usable 0331 head, but I know they are prone to cracking and they have there differences... Exhaust Port size, location, deck thickness, ect.. I still have the older style intake manifold, and the older style exhaust manifold. Am I wasting time trying to use the 0331 head?

The XJ 0331 head is a waste of time and money. Find an 0630 or 7120 head.

Or a TUPY version of a 0331 !!!

Hey Brian when you ordered your head off of rock auto. Which one did you order. They have one with temp sending unit hole and one without. I don’t see a temp. Sending unit on mine but with rock auto if you order the wrong one. Just takes up a lot of time to get the correct one. My 0630 head has antifreeze in where the valve is at. I was going to have it check but if it has a crack it would be a waste of money. Any help would be appreciated

They have one with temp sending unit hole and one without. I don’t see a Temp Sending unit on mine .......

1997-2001 only have one Coolant Temperature Sensor located on the thermostat housing. If you get a head with the temperature sensor threaded hole, simply leave the sensor in place to plug the hole, or use a threaded plug.

Back