• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carpet cleaning and Noise diagnosing.

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. Again :D

So I have half a tub of oxy clean. What would be the best way to get the stains and possibly the smell out of my carpet? The left side of my truck got flooded a while back with mud (clay+water).

And I dont know what happened to easy xjer. Last I heard he was visiting his cousin but this was weeks ago. He had gotten a stearing system and better geared differential for my D30. I havent heard from him in a while. Is there anybody available to help me diagnose all these noises? I have a rather loud and obvious rattle. Sometimes my engine makes a deep rattle at very low rps. And I got a lot of what feels like hard clunks.

Please, I would really appreciate the help. Thank you.

(Also, was out riding today and I happened to spot 2 Cherokees riding together, turns out I ran into them months ago. Oh jeeps :) )

Hard clunks - check your engine/transmission/exhaust mounts/hangars. There is a hangar on the tcase crossmember for the exhaust just ahead of the cat that rusts out, leaving the exhaust banging into the crossmember. Also check if the bushings on your sway bar ends are present, I got horrible clunking/grinding noises when turning and going over bumps due to those and it didn't even cross my mind until one broke because of the excess wear from the lack of bushings.

rattle - check your exhaust hangars/mounts, heat shields, etc.

Carpet - pull and add your preferred liner :) that or just clean like hell, try to dry it out as much as possible.

I's not the carpet, it's the padding underneath.
The padding (in my 1991) has a plastic cover and bottom and foam in between, like a ham sandwich.
The water and smell would NOT come out.
It's also under the rear seat and water will stay there for years.

Here's what I did.
lifting an edge of the carpet near the doors,
pull most of the padding out with hands, hooks, and such.
Put the carpet back.
Now I can flood the interior with a garden hose, drain holes get most water out,
shop vac for a while
the smell goes away.

p.s., I don't smell that good :party:

When clean carpet use hot as you can stand water and fabric softener. It will clean stains and kill odors. I would pull it so it doesn't have to dry in the truck. You can also do the seats this way just don't soak them or it will take for ever to dry. If you leave it in and have a dehumidifier put it in the jeep and let it run.

spammer resurrected this thread to hock his wares...

The dehumidifier trick is a darn good one. I've done it many times and it works incredibly well.

To truly clean your carpet and padding .... remove the seats and stuff and take ALL of the carpet and padding completely out of the Jeep. Scrub the heck out of it and let it dry in the sun for a long time. Don't put it back in until its 100% dry and clean.

Trying to just scrub the carpet while its in the Jeep is utterly pointless.

I used to detail highline cars, that said.. we always used a wet/dry vac and whitewall cleaner with a brush, if you can take the carpet out even better.

Back