• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle Swap

Big Red 95

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to this forum and someone on my local forum, Star City Crawlers, suggested searching here but i am not able to find what i am looking for.

Does anyone know if there is a write up on swapping WJ knuckles onto a D30? I know it is a popular swap but i can't find a write up on it.

I have a 95 ZJ with a LP D30 and the Rock Krawler X-Factor steering. This kit uses hiem joints instead of TREs and the passenger side hole keeps wollering out. I have fixed this 3 times and it keeps happening. From some research i have found out that this is a poor design and will continue to happen with the Drag Link and Tie Rod on the same mounting point.

I have gotten the knuckles, calipers, caliper brackets, tie rod, drag link and all the TREs already from a WJ. I just would like to read up on this project before i go head first into it. once i have this swap done i will figure out how to use the beefier parts from the X-Factor kit.

Thanks for your help

Would it be possible to just swap the whole axle? They are both D30s right? I ask since I would love the larger brakes this upgrade brings and the not so much hassle if I could just swap. Hope I'm not too far off base.

not sure on the ZJ mentioned above but they are too wide for an XJ I believe

Would it be possible to just swap the whole axle? They are both D30s right? I ask since I would love the larger brakes this upgrade brings and the not so much hassle if I could just swap. Hope I'm not too far off base.
The WJ is low pinion. Some WJ owners swap to XJ 30s so they can have a HP

Very Cool. I will check these out. good luck on yours too. I will not be doing mine very soon. i still need to get new rotors and ball joints and may be rebuild kits for the calipers.

I think the brackets are different on the WJs too. If i am remembering correctly the ZJ XJ and TJ are direct bolt ins for the front axles but not the rear obviously.

install WJ lower ball joints into the axle, Yuo will need to get 1/4" spacers for the knuckles and weld them on to space out the unit bearing. you will also need to space the caliper brackets 1/4" also (I just used washers for this). I redrilled the rotors for the 5 on 4.5 lug pattern. I also reused the tierod and drag link, but I had to cut them down to the proper length.

install WJ lower ball joints into the axle, Yuo will need to get 1/4" spacers for the knuckles and weld them on to space out the unit bearing. you will also need to space the caliper brackets 1/4" also (I just used washers for this). I redrilled the rotors for the 5 on 4.5 lug pattern. I also reused the tierod and drag link, but I had to cut them down to the proper length.

Cool thanks. i was wondering if washers would work or not.

Thanks to whoever moved this to the Modified Tech Discussions. I was not sure if it should go here or the OE one because of the use of OE parts. I am new on here and the more time i spend on here the more i miss my XJ.

i didnt use a caliper bracket spacer, mine are even on the rotor...but i have teeves not akebono brakes idk if that makes a difference

i didnt use a caliper bracket spacer, mine are even on the rotor...but i have teeves not akebono brakes idk if that makes a difference

What year are your unit bearings from?

I used 90 and earlier unit bearings with the WJ rotor and they line up just fine. No need to space out the caliper bracket if you go that route.

The Teeves and Akebono mount the same way.

the spacing is not for the caliper/rotor it is to prevent the axle shaft from being pushed to far into the diff. I think?

I havent seen any particular mention of this being done to a 2wd XJ. If the spacer is to center the ujoint and ball joints, would the spacer be needed on a 2wd since there are no ujoints?

i dont see a reason why you would need it

Back