• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front locked vs. rear locked

it's the 5th of the month isn't it

SEARCH. no one can even begin to answer your question till they know what axles you have and even then the whole discussion is dependant on situations and type of wheelin ya do hasta

A spool is basically a solid piece of metal that connects both of the axle shafts to the ring gear and provides for absolutly no speed differental between inside and outside wheels in a turn. This method will provide the most power transfer to the ground but is not the way to go for a street driven vehicle. It will eat tires because when you are turning the wheels need to move at different speeds. I agree with The Blu Yak and would say to go with the rear first. If you use your jeep for wheeling and street driving I would recomend a selectable locker, one that you can engage when youre wheeling and will act as an open dif or a limited slip when not engaged. Auburn Gear makes a unit like this.

Spool is a thing that locks both axle shafts together so there is absolutly no slip whatso ever, a full spool will also support the carrier, not recommended for street use because it will squel tires around every turn and wear the tires down.

ok a spool locks the axle shafts together so neither tire can spin faster/slower than the other providing equal power to each wheel similar to other lockers when engaged.

back to the subject of front vs rear the prob is there is no real answer it's just personal opinion. i like the front best but there are a bunch of people that like the rear. now if you would comment on what axles you have there will be reasons why one would be better than the other.

ps this question has been covered before many times search a little harder and you will find the answer

See im gonig rear first cause im swappin out a full width 9" axle, and leaving the dana 30 till i get my new cherokee then going fullwidth 44 front and 9" rear. then rear will be spooled and front will be aussie locked. Spools are a ton cheaper, can find them for like 160 bucks for a good one. But they are not good fro street use.

no a spool takes the place of a locker, i have two car and my jeep will see some street use, but i just dont care if my tires get a little worn down cause im trying to go to 35's or 37's eventually and dont care if my 31 MT get worn

Spools just like lockers can be predictable and you get use to driving with them. Its all about sacrafices, no 600 dollar locker but worn tires with a 160 spool. its all about preference. A spool will give u ultimate offroad traction and its cool be like yeah I rock a spool.

A spool is a carrier/locker with "NO" moving parts!
msr-5s9f33_w.jpg

so the wearing of tires is the only disavantage. Tires really don't last the that long anyway on the rocks. Where do you buy one for a 8.25? Does it cause any more breakage that one being locked?

yes to my knowledge i think that is the only thing that is a negative about a spool, but the same thing is like a detriot locker, u will still wear down tires,

well u can still break a shaft, a career anything you can break with a locker can be broken with a spool. normally spools are used for more hardcore axles such as 9" 14 bolts 60"s maybe a 44 gets one sometimes etc.

I mean if you want to go for it, its just you migh run the risk of breaking something because it is a smaller axle. but hell people put full lockers in dana 35s. its all about what you want.

my friend has a lunch box in his and it rackets all the time, with a spool, you wouln't have that right? Would you have wheel hop or chirp in stead?

i locked the rear first.. simply because it has more weight on it when doing climbs.. plain and simple..

now i am locked f/r but the front really didnt make too much of a difference, just that it is easier to climb up obstacles a bit..

Back