• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting arb lock tab to seat on bolt head--rev dana 30 6 small bolt on top

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
How do you get the lock tab on the arb bolts? I tried for awhile but it wouldn't fit over the bolt heads. I used lots of locktite on the thread of the bolt and torqued them down, but now want to get the lock tabs on the bolts. Are these things absolutely necessary especially that I used lots of locktite compound? Please advise. I am taking about the 6 small bolts on the top of the arb unit for the rev dana 30. I heard axle flex leads to the bolts backing out of the holes. It doesn't seem hard to get the tabs over the bolts, but with the arb in the diff it is very hard to get the tabs on there. If the arb was out of the housing, then a socket placed over the tab/bolt head could be tapped lightly with a hammer to probably seat the tab. Anyone know what to do???
Troy

BrettM said:
smarter than tabs must you be

Heah, those tabs are some crafty suckers. :rolleyes: It is hard to get them to seat while in the diff. I put lots of locktite on the bolts and replaced all 6 of them just to be on the safe side. Now I just need to get those lock tabs on there, bolt it back up and add some nice Mobil 1 synthetic. No water was in either diff from Fordyce. :)

Thats the reason for good clean threads and loctite!Several people including myself have found these laying in the bottom,they dont hold for sh!t.They are a "pita" to re-install but can be done in the housing,you just gotta find the right socket,Other than that most just "lose" the dang things!

Back