• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nv 241 c ???

Led

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
We pulled the drive train on my parts jeep last night and noticed the T-case is a nv 241 c ?? According to the nv site this case is more than twice as strong as a 231. has anyone heard of the 241s in a XJ ? All I know of is 207,231,242,and 249s. if it is stronger do they make a SYE for it. also its a 87 xj I'm going to take it off the tranny tonight to check how many spline the input is.
Led

Are you sure that it is a NP241. I Think that those are only used in the new rubicons, and maybe some full size pickups. In the cab of the jeep, what does the 4WD selctor say. Does it have a Fulltime position.

Let us know

Jerm S.

241C sounds like a Chevy transfer case. Jeep 'cases end with a 'J'. AFAIK Jeep didn't use the 241 until the new Wrangler Rubicon, and that's a 241OR and it already has an SYE

241C is a Chev NV241.

What year/tranny is your XJ?

r@m

I picked this up as a parts jeep, No interior, 87 4.0 aw 4, the tag is deffinatly a 241. I looks different than my 231. what did chevy use for an input spline count?

It's either 23 or 27 - spidey senses make me think 27 spline to mate to the 700R4.

I may be wrong about that though.

r@m

apears to be a NP 241 c not an NV.21 spline input what
are the specs on those??
Led

If it is a 23 spline it might mate to a newer AW4 but that would mean that the xj has had alot of modification done to it. Because i think that the 89 aw4 had 21 spline outputs. Can you post a pic of the tcase and tranny. yousaid that they were already out of the rig right?

Jerm S.

ok here is the deal it is an NP241c was mated to an aw 4 21 spline. looks like it was swaped in . I have found that SYEs' and 4:1s are avalible. should I keep this t case to put in my 88 is it stronger?? here are the pics.
Led
fa667f6a.jpg

fa667f5f.jpg

fa667f69.jpg

NV, NP same difference. New Process changed their name to New Venture at some point - IIRC had something to do with Chrysler changing it's percent stake in the gear works. Not sure who owns them these days...

Anyway, it is definately stronger than a 231. 241 has a wider chain and has 6 planets in the planetary gear set instead of 3 like the 231 does. It is a common (??) swap to move the 6 planet carrier from a 241 into a 231 to beef the 231 - or so I've read.

This is the same t-case used in full size Chev K5 Blazers and K10, K20, K30 (?) pickups so pretty stout. I think there is a 241D also - may already have an SYE on it as well. I'm not a Dodge guy so don't quote me on that.

Hey, if it fits and bolts up I'd just run the 241 and call it done. SYEs and 4:1 gear sets are defiantely available. Stock ratio is the same as a NV231 (2.72:1).

Would be really interesting to know how this beastie got under a Jeep...and how the input gear got changed...

HTH

r@m

I swapped a 241 into my aj (asshole jeep). The majority of it is chevy. Dodge used the 241 and it has a fixed yoke. I used the parts needed from dodge to get the fixed yoke. The shift pattern on mine is different. Lo is the same but 4hi and 2wheel are opposite of the 231. I like it, it isn't much bigger physically then the 231 but enough so I had to modify the floors. I'm not running the factory crossmember. Oh yeah mines a 23 spline behind a 98 aw4.

Hey Led, if your not gonna use it would you get rid of the front output yoke. I have the queer flange style

I thought all Chevys had passanger drop?

'88 and later Chevy trucks used a driver's drop w/IFS,the Blazer's didn't make the switch until '92(I think) when they finally swapped to the newer body style with IFS :thumbup:

The ones off the IFS Chevys are Driver's side drop...at least the 231 on my boss' 91 S10/T700 and the one in our 95 K2500HD 350/4L80?/241 'burb are driver side drop...

Never wondered on spline counts though...

Looks like Led made a good find :)
BTW Led check your private messages

Back