NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > NorthWest Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

NorthWest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old August 14th, 2016, 17:22
NAXJA Forum User

Re: John's 98 Build Thread

John, Can you comment on how the 3.73, AX-15 combo is? How is it on the trails? Would you say it's ideal for a daily driver? What's your MPG's with that setup? Thanks!
Old August 14th, 2016, 17:34
TOOL

Not John but I have a 95 with 3.73's and a 5 spd I pull 16 or so around town and on the hiway 21-23 depending on my heavy foot.

sent by my Arse because my hands are full.
Old August 14th, 2016, 19:06
NAXJA Member

3.73's and an AX15 is nice. 3.73s, AX15 and a 31 spline NP242 is awesome. I do wish it was a little lower for wheeling. I've been contemplating solving that with a crawl box. We will see how budget looks in a couple months. Gas mileage... I drive 25 miles to work every day on the interstate at 70-80 mph, and average 16. In town I average 14. It used to be 20-23 mpg and 15-17 in town. I guess too many off-camber oil starvation situations or the poor maintenance of the last owner has stolen the last of my compression. There is something very very wrong with my 4.0, and I just don't care to fix it since it's getting pulled. I'd totally expect the average XJ on 31's/ax15 to be fine off road and average 15-17 in town and 19-23 on the highway.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old August 15th, 2016, 18:43
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks guys! I was on the fence between 4.10s and 3.73s, And this pushed me to find some 4.10s for the 265/75R16 I'm running. 3.54s weren't deep enough for the five!

FYI: I get about 18MPG with the 4.6l stroker, 3.54s & AX15.
Old August 21st, 2016, 14:57
NAXJA Member

I've been trucking right along when my wife and I aren't working on house projects. I've been focusing on 2 fronts.

AC Compressor
After much measuring and remeasuring I picked up the 4660. It fits like a dream, BUT the lines are going to be tricky. It interferes with the frame mount when the outlet is clocked 90 degrees, and interferes with the regulator on my alternator when its not clocked. I will be ordering some low profile 90 degree fittings to see just how tight it is.

CCD Bus translation

Low and behold, Alexia published his project to use a haltech ECU with the CCD gauges, in his Jeep. Unfortunately his project does not implement any of the features that allow bus components to share the bus, he just bit-bangs the bus without calculating a CRC or checking if it is okay to transmit so when a collision occurs the cluster reboots. I will be continuing work on getting the CDP68HC68S1 working so I have idle detection and collision detection to allow my other CCD bus accessories such as my overhead console and airbag controller to remain functional. So far I started by building a shield for a teensy with the needed hardware to make CCD work. I datalogged a good hour and a half of driving, and I have documented about half of the addresses on that bus.

Alexia's work on github: here
My hacked together datalogger: here

Here's a CCD bus dump from yesterday. (10MB)

Addresses I've gathered so far
  • 12 (0x0c) - volts, oil pressure, coolan temp
  • 35 (0x23) - No clue, data is always 0,15, CRC
  • 36 (0x24) - mph/kph
  • 37 (0x25)- fuel level
  • 58 (0x58) - No clue, data is always 34, 16, CRC
  • 68 (0x44) - fuel pulse width??
  • 80 (0x50) - Airbag Good
  • 100 (0x64) - No clue, data is always 226,255,1, CRC
  • 109 (0x6D) - VIN (position, ascii, CRC)
  • 132 (0x84) - distance increased, (.0416 miles per bit)
  • 164 (0xA4) - Feature Status
  • 172 (0xAC) - chime - always 5, 130
  • 204 (0xCC) - accumulated mileage??
  • 218 (0xDA) - trip reset??
  • 228 (0xE4)- tach/map
  • 236 (0xEC)- Check Gauges light
  • 254 (0xFE) - appears tied to RPMs??
Old October 25th, 2016, 19:45
NAXJA Forum User

John how is this build coming along? We havn't heard much from you. diesel swap would be an amazing kit.
Old October 26th, 2016, 15:28
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxil View Post
John how is this build coming along? We havn't heard much from you. diesel swap would be an amazing kit.
Hey man, my kitchen remodel has eaten all of my free time recently. The project is NOT dead, I just bought a timing belt for the engine, and collected most of the components to complete the BSM delete. All I need to do mechanically to the engine after that is clean the intake (they coke up) and install a cam. I did drop the oil pan on the TDI last weekend to check the status of the BSM and found part of the idler in the oil pan. Not shocking.

I also picked up a B5.5 Passat TDI to drive around while I have the engine out of the XJ. Its been averaging 34-36MPG! Since I put 80 miles on it a day 6 days a week its nice to not be getting 12-14mpg.
Old October 25th, 2017, 13:36
NAXJA Forum User

Nice build up, nice Xj, question, why did you go with a VW engine and not a 4BT, I think it would be easier to do the swap!
Old June 17th, 2019, 12:16
NAXJA Member

Its been quite a while since I last updated my build, and my, how things have progressed.

I have no use for the balance shaft module and the massive engineering abortion that it is, so I went with an ALH/BEW oil pump, pickup, chain, tensioner, and oil pan. I used a BRM pump drive sprocket to increase idle oil pressure. This by itself makes the BHW more reliable because the balance shaft module has a tendency of spontaneously failing, leaving the engine and turbo without oil.

I made a first pass at implementing a CCD translator. This will largely be reworked before the project is over, because I have learned a lot about board design and the requirements have changed as the build has progressed.

I scored a diesel gauge cluster on ebay.co.uk, and a left hand drive dash bezel with the diesel message center on megaparts.eu

I am replacing as many plastic components as possible on this build for longevity reasons. EAA engineering had a cast aluminum thermostat housing that I scored. I do not believe they still make these, but INA occasionally does short production runs. Thereís also a Chinese manufacturer making these, so if you are following my lead, all hope is not lost.
I also found a metal dipstick tube extension to replace the plastic one thatís always broken on ECS.

I drew up an adapter plate for the turbo of choice, and built a prototype.

I have wanted a 6 speed for this swap for the wider gear ranges, I got a NOS NSG370 with all the factory improvements already done, so in that goes.

Old June 17th, 2019, 12:17
NAXJA Member

The starter contacts the bellhousing of the NEW NSG370 that I found, so out came the sanding drum.

Once that was out of the way, I replaced the rear main seal and bolted up the adapter, along with a new centerforce extra heavy flywheel and a LuK clutch and pressure plate

When I bolted the transmission to the adapter, I figured out that the coolant flange outlets both contact the bellhousing, so I cut both up, drilled and tapped the housings and used Loctite 577 to permanently seal everything. I am super happy with the final product.

My wife got me a crawl box for Christmas, so expect some epic crawl ratios!

Old June 17th, 2019, 12:19
NAXJA Member

The Jeep moved into the garage last fall in anticipation of having time to pull the engine this winter. That paid off, in February weekend I pulled the engine!

The engine slipped right into the engine bay, unfortunately the compressor that I obsessed over fitting in the stock position contacts the frame.

The compressor bracket from EBay by some miracle bolted right up to the existing holes in the block on the other side and clears everything, so that placement was used as a template for a future permanent mounting location.

Old June 17th, 2019, 12:20
NAXJA Member

I also moved the powersteering pump up. I fabbed up a bracket out of ľĒ steel and a couple 17mm spacers to replicate the proper offset for the belt.

I liked the compressor location as mocked earlier, but I can't do anything simple apparently, and figured I could get the compressor a little closer to the block. I was already struggling to get the belt routed with the last layout, and the idler options and locations sucked. I found a nice small 55mm idler that's used on some diesel that was in the Grand Cherokee.
Dayco 89535, Four Seasons 45908 pulley bushing and a MOPAR 6503230 spacer. The bearing is of the correct perspective that it will not be outside of its safe operating speed when used with the TDI crank pulley.

I have been using some 1/8" plywood for mocking up my brackets, this is no different. Its super easy to work with and can be used to actually see how things mount. I used my spare block to test fit everything.

When everything was mounted on the spare block, I could more easily mock up a brace for the rear of the compressor:

I lopped the power steering mount off the accessory mount while I had everything off the block for testing:

Here's the completed mount shy one idler:

I am super happy with how this turned out! I scanned the final bracket if anyone wanted to replicate it.

The final belt size is K60740. Ill be getting a Continental Elite before I start driving this thing, thats just a $10 belt from amazon. I love Goodyear Gatorbacks, but they've been renamed.

The clocking of the transmission was off, I chose the middle of the three holes for my first stab, apparently, I should have used the most clockwise hole. Engine out, engine back in!

Much better, however the TJ shift tower puts the shift cane right into the dash in any of the upper gears. I'll be ordering a B&M short shifter, hopefully that moves everything a little further forward.

Old June 17th, 2019, 12:20
NAXJA Member

Here's the opening in the floor with the AX15 specific adapter removed:

B&M 45195 is a perfect fit! I knew JK parts were useful for something...

Just a side by side:

Its a pretty big difference.

Just for grins I installed the console to see how everything fits, and I am super excited!

Next step: Cut a hole in the transfer case tunnel since the driveline is 9" longer than it ever was with a 4.0 since I have the crawl box installed. (don't mind the gap, its just a test fit)

I left off with the transfer case clocked at the stock XJ position, BUT because the transmission adapter pushes the transfer case back so far the front driveshaft interferes with the crossmember. I decided to cut the transmission tunnel up to clock the transfer case up, and out of the way.

Hereís what I started with:

The first step was to cut a big enough hole that everything fits, and test fit with the seat frame.

Then I started filling the hole back in, one jigsaw puzzle piece at a time.

The bottom hump needed to be notched to fit the seat frame.

Old June 17th, 2019, 12:21
NAXJA Member

I ended up with this. I used seam sealer to smooth the edges underneath, along with por15 chassis coat and finally underbody rubberizing spray.

Everything fits like a glove!

Hereís my final clocking:

Old July 11th, 2019, 16:30
NAXJA Member

Iíve been super busy on this Jeep! My list of things to do has got much shorter.

The air to water intercooler is pretty neat, as it really shortens the whole thing. I got a kit from frozen boost, with the bosch pump. The bosch pump fits nicely on the passenger side frame rail. I still need to wire it up, and Iím planning on the pump running in the RUN position.

I finished up the fuel delivery system. I settled on a Stanadyne FM100 with a hand primer. I added a 30psi gauge to the filter outlet. I also used 30R9 for the return and reused the supply side. The 30 gallon tank was plumbed so if the Cummins pump fails, the auxiliary straw from the fuel module can just plug and play without dropping the tank.

I plumbed up the power steering system, and added a cooler to the front. I used Russell Performance PowerFlex for the high pressure hose and ATF rated hose for the rest. I used a BMW reservoir and a hasty mount with a hose clamp above the pump. I am really liking the reusable threaded AN fittings you can buy these days.

I also got the Webasto mounted. Iím still waiting for some fittings for it for the fuel supplu, but its not moving.

I bolted a volvo cooling fan to a Jeep fan shroud for cooling. Should be overkill. Iím also using a temperature switch from a golf, threaded into the factory jeep sensor port. More to come on this when I finalize the wiring.

I finished up the boost track. I used 2 inch aluminum tube and silicone joiners to plumb the whole thing. I also spent a lot of time getting the York sc609 bolted up. Iím looking forward to having this guy for belt driven air.

Next steps:
  • Vacuum lines, reservoir and N75 bracket
  • plumb heater, and build overflow bottle
  • Finish AC (replace condenser, evap, lines, heater core while Iím at it)
  • Finish wiring. Have a plan, just need to do it.
  • Make a non-prototype CAN-CCD gateway. This is sitting on my bench stress testing in breadboard form with actual code running the gauges!
  • Get drivelines built
  • Transmission tunnel cover
  • Transfer case linkage.

Iím pretty excited that the front might stay bolted on this time!