• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep leafs or go to 4 link?

CLSegraves

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my dilemma, I have to either get new rear leaf springs or convert to a triangulated 4 link. The current bastard pack (XJ main and S10 leafs) is shot (technically the XJ main is shot) plus I need the rear to go up 2" to match the front (front is at 6.5" and rear is a 4.5").

I'm leaning towards the 4 link for anti-wrap, but recognize that it's going to be a lot of work and money to make that jump. Overall I've been happy with the leaf springs in the rear to this point, I'm just not sure if dumping more money into antiquated technology is the right thing to do.

I've read all over this place about 4 links and my head is spinning. So many of the 4 link builds are targeted at WAYYY more than I'm trying to accomplish. Most of the trails I do are in that 5-7 range and it's always with a big group (so has stock-ish wranglers with 2" lifts to contend with). I'm not trying to build some super, trophy winning vehicle. Just a really good all around offroad/daily driver/go anywhere vehicle (I drive it to work on the freeway every day and go playing on the weekends).

So if I go to a 4 link, what do I do? If I keep the leaf springs, what should I use?

Time and money, money and time, compounded by expected use...

Although coils give a better ride I've always found the XJ to be more predictable than a ZJ, WJ, or LWB TJ's.

I am in the same boat... One guy in my group has a 3rd gen 4 runner. His rear 4 link has a way better ride on the trail and highway than my leaf packs. It also feels super planted when articulated. I have been eyeing the iro 4 link for a few months and plan to pull the trigger this summer. I really think it will help the poor unibody survive longer as well due to getting rid of leaf spring binding. My only concern is having a 3 link front and the 4 link rear will require an antirock or two to keep it controlled...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RE 3.5 or 4.5" leafs, boostwerks comp shackles, and HD Offroad shackle relocation boxes, and a decent shock bump stopped correctly.

unless you are going fast... which it doesnt sounds like you are. its really hard to be the cost for the performance you get out of this combo on a leaf.

Stick with leaves and spend the coin for Deavers.

RE 3.5 or 4.5" leafs, boostwerks comp shackles, and HD Offroad shackle relocation boxes, and a decent shock bump stopped correctly.

unless you are going fast... which it doesnt sounds like you are. its really hard to be the cost for the performance you get out of this combo on a leaf.

Fast is definitely not how I wheel. Slow and steady gets me there and home again in one piece. I think my current record is 22 miles in 10 hours lol.

I’ve got HD Offroad’s shackle relocation boxes on the vehicle currently and I’ve been eyeing the boostworks comp shackles for a while (currently running a pair of long autozone shackles).

What about going with the OME 3.5” springs? I’ve heard good things about them.

Why do you want to run that lift height anyway?

Why do you want to run that lift height anyway?

Because I'm at 6.5" in the front and I need to level it out. I have 13" travel shocks on the vehicle and I get about 6" of compression (bump stops are set) and 6" of extension (I have my shocks set so at full bump I have about 0.75" of unused up-travel to protect the shocks).

In actuality, I need to get the rear a bit higher (perhaps 7") so that when I load it down with gear it doesn't sag.

To high, what size tires are you running? Type of suspension do you have in front? I get crazy travel/articulation at 5" lift.

Type of suspension do you have in front?/QUOTE]

You could get by better with less lift!

I'd be happy to go back to 4.5", it worked fantastic (LCAs were perfectly flat with my drop brackets). Just not keen on throwing away brand new springs (my old springs cracked and I ordered RE 4.5" springs which with my ACOS spacers and lower mounts put me at 6.5"). It is nice having the extra 2" under the belly though.

Fast is definitely not how I wheel. Slow and steady gets me there and home again in one piece. I think my current record is 22 miles in 10 hours lol.

I’ve got HD Offroad’s shackle relocation boxes on the vehicle currently and I’ve been eyeing the boostworks comp shackles for a while (currently running a pair of long autozone shackles).

What about going with the OME 3.5” springs? I’ve heard good things about them.

any quality spring will work fantastic. the RE leafs are always a first recomendation because they dont brake the bank and work as advertised for the most part.

a 3.5" leaf may or may not get you level though. then youll be looking swapping coils or pulling the ACOS. mind you... you wont lose any travel, you are just trading up for down. what you want to keep and what you are willing to sacrifice is up to you though.

i will say though... if you do a ton of street miles you may want to look at a normal, quality, extended shackle. the boostwerks shackles have a tendancy to "slosh" or "sway." its really odd to watch offroad, almost looks like something broke. but they do remove a lot of bind as advertised.

You really should address the front end before even looking at the rear. You need long arms to help with the pinion geometry.

LTmp2wDH6ZG6BYN79

From what I'm reading here, stick with leaf springs for now.

Get a shackle box from HD offroad, set a good shackle angle, and then go from there.

I was able to get plenty of flex, and still have a good ride when I was still on leafs (and not a tube chassis).

The biggest issue isn't the links or the mounts...that's easy.

It's packaging the shocks, or coils. I don't think coils are ever really worth it if you're running a link setup, since it's FAR easier to mount something like a coilover compared to a coil. From there, they can be adjusted at will for height, rebound, etc.

The hardest part, where to mount the upper part of the shock. Through the floorboard or wheel well most likely.

From what I'm reading here, stick with leaf springs for now.

Get a shackle box from HD offroad, set a good shackle angle, and then go from there.

I was able to get plenty of flex, and still have a good ride when I was still on leafs (and not a tube chassis).

The biggest issue isn't the links or the mounts...that's easy.

It's packaging the shocks, or coils. I don't think coils are ever really worth it if you're running a link setup, since it's FAR easier to mount something like a coilover compared to a coil. From there, they can be adjusted at will for height, rebound, etc.

The hardest part, where to mount the upper part of the shock. Through the floorboard or wheel well most likely.

Coilovers also have the benefit of being able to change the spring rate and length when you inevitably guess/calculate wrong since no one makes an XJ with rear 4-link spring.

I'm at 4.5" and going to at least 5.5" cause I drag the belly on everything.

will be staying leaf rear with shackle boxes because it works just fine. and don't want to do sway bars, etc. I've thought about a 4 link rear, just don't see the need for it. stable off camber and flexes when I need it to.

Back