• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start, dont think it's NSS....

SouthernXJ

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ stock 4.0 auto.

For the past month or so it;s been slow to start. Kind of like it's fuel starved.
Recently it decided it just dosent want to start. If I connect the battery, it will sloooooowly try to turn over for about a second. Then nothing. Try to crank it again, nothing. Everything (radio, interior, headlights) works but the starter dosent even attempt to turn.

I've had the starter tested, it spun l like new.
Had the battery tested, holds a charge fine.
Replaced the negative battery cable.
Cleaned the positive clamp.
Cut back the positive lead and reatached to clamp.

Anyone have any ideas? I's suspect the NSS if it didnt attempt to spin the first time I turned the key. It's almost like the starter cant turn the flywheel. Open to suggestions.....

Well, you're right that it's not the NSS, because that would not allow it to start at all. How about the starter relay or solenoid? I think what you have to do next is get a voltmeter and see if you can determine what voltage is reaching the starter, and how much drop there is when it tries to crank, so you can determine whether it's in the cable, the relay or the starter. You can also get an ammeter that just hooks over the positive cable and reads the amps it draws, which might tell you something. One possibility is that the starter test was uninformative, and there is a bearing problem that causes it to bind under load, or it's burned out and spins nicely under no load but doesn't have the oomph to turn the engine. In this case the starter will pull a great deal of current (or cause a large voltage drop in the cable). I suspect the starter.

there is a bearing problem that causes it to bind under load, or it's burned out and spins nicely under no load but doesn't have the oomph to turn the engine.

Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting! It sounded to me like it couldent turn the flywheel. So, I'll have to hook up the meter and check from that big drop.

Back